Sediment Sampling & Analysis
CCB has undertaken numerous sediment sampling and analysis studies throughout Australia. Traditional sediment parameters analysed include Acid Sulphate Soils (CRS, AVS, PASS), nutrients, trace metals, heavy metals, organochlorins, organophoshorus. and PCBs.
CCB can also provide state-of-the-art sediment parameters such as sediment oxygen demand (SOD) measured in-situ using benthic chambers or ex-situ using undisturbed cores. Because of the importance of maintaining adequate oxygen levels in aquatic environments we consider SOD an essential component of any sediment contaminant assessment program.
CCB undertakes sediment quality sampling and analysis at the highest possible standard and in strict accordance with guidelines such as ANZECC and ARMCANZ sediment quality guidelines (2000). All sample analysis is undertaken at the NATA Certified Environmental Analysis Laboratory (EAL), Southern Cross University. The EAL specialises in the analysis of sediment samples and in particular, Acid Sulphate Soils.
All sample collection, transport, storage, and analysis will be undertaken entirely in-house resulting in a strong chain of custody.
Examples of a few recent studies:
- Pimpama River Estuary Ecological Study - Sediment nutrient and contaminant sampling and analysis. Client: SKM (for Gold Coast Water)
- Brisbane River and Moreton Bay dredge area and spoil disposal sites - Sediment nutrients, CRS and AVS sampling and analysis
- Cairns and Mission Beach Prawn Grow-out and Treatment Ponds - Sediment nutrient sampling and analysis. Client: QLDDPI
- Lower Richmond River Catchment - Spatial and temporal distribution of CRS and AVS. Client: Environmental Trust (NSWEPA)
- Richmond River Estuary - Sediment nutrient sampling and analysis
- Brunswick River Estuary - Sediment nutrient sampling and analysis
Updated: 16 December 2010