Includes sediment, soil, biosolid, compost, fertiliser, plant, rock and other solids.
Routine analysis is conducted on agricultural soil and plant, acid sulfate soil, compost, fertiliser, physical and chemical parameters. Resulting data is used in a broad spectrum of suitability assessments.
These include agricultural, development, and recreational uses. EAL also routinely conducts environmental monitoring of soil for physiochemical parameters, metals, contamination, nutrients, salts and bacteria.
The EAL is involved in acid sulfate soil research and method development for the identification and management of these soils. EAL routinely performs screening, risk assessment and validation techniques.
Collection Procedure for Soil Samples
- approx. 200g of soil (approx. 1 large handful), sealed in a plastic bag, is required fresh to the laboratory (or frozen in some cases). Notification of arrival of samples is required. Samples in most cases can be stored/delivered cold (in an esky with ice) until delivery is possible. Up to 2kg of sample is required when toxicity is reqested.
Collection Procedure for Plant/Leaf Samples
- approx. 100g of plant/leaf is required to the laboratory in a paper bag. Smaller quantities (as low as 1g) is applicable as long as it is representative.
Collection Procedure for Compost and Potting Mix Samples under AS4454-2012 and AS3743-2003
- approx. 10L of compost or potting mix sealed in a 10L plastic bucket, is required fresh to the laboratory. Smaller quantities (as low as 5L) is applicable as long as it meets testing requirements.
Additional Information for Download
The following are some standard procedures for collecting samples. Adhering to these directions when collecting your samples will ensure the highest level of accuracy during analysis.
- EAL Soil Sampling Guide
- EAL Soil/Leaf/Compost Testing Packages
- EAL Plant Leaf Sampling Guide
- Albrecht and Reams Soil Analysis Report
- ABCs of Collecting and Sending Compost Samples to EAL
- ABCs of Collecting and Sending Hair Samples to EAL
- ABCs of Collecting and Sending Plants and Leaf Samples to EAL
- ABCs of Collecting and Sending Soil Samples to EAL
- EAL Soil Preservation
- EAL Hair Sampling Guide
If you prefer, on-site sample collection by our qualified staff can also be arranged at a basic rate of $110.00 +GST per hour.
Updated: 01 May 2013