Academic and General English
Please Note: These courses are only available to holders of student visas as their principal course of study. For details of visa requirements go to www.immi.gov.au
Academic English [English for Academic Purposes (EAP); International English Language Testing System (IELTS)]
Academic English prepares students for further studies at TAFE or University. The EAP syllabus is designed to give students the special skills they will need to be successful students in an Australian tertiary institution. Specifically, students will:
- Learn skills which will help them succeed in further studies;
- Learn how to understand lectures and participate in tutorials;
- Learn how to write essays, reports and understand academic texts;
- Learn how to use university facilities such as the library and other resources;
- Gain practical experience in functioning in the university environment;
- Integrate with Southern Cross University students;
- Gain direct entry into Southern Cross University - no further IELTS tests are required for students with a package offer to an EAP Course and a degree;
- Gain access to academic lectures and lecturers;
- Learn how to use information technology services;
- Learn independent research skills.
Southern Cross University offers General English classes at the following levels:
- Pre-Intermediate English;
- Intermediate English;
- Upper-Intermediate English;
- Advanced English;
The English Language Centres offer a range of General English classes to suit your particular language needs. These classes range from five to 50 weeks duration depending on your needs and future study plans. You may start on any Monday except during holidays (Easter and Christmas). In these classes you will learn speaking, listening, reading and writing with a focus on communicative English. You will have the opportunity to develop oracy and literacy skills as well as cognitive skills and strategies for learning English and using English in other spheres of learning, including self-study. Our General English classes offer many opportunities for conversation with English speakers.
All Academic English and General English classes include:
- 25 hours of face-to-face tuition per week from experienced and qualified ESL teachers;
- Computer access after class hours and one hour per week with class;
- Formative and summative class assessment;
- Access to library, computer laboratories and other university facilities;
- Course Completion and Attendance certificates;
- Multicultural classes with students from all around the world;
- Volunteer work placements (schools, child care centres, nursing homes etc) if required.
Download Brochures and Application Form
SCU English Language Centre at Coffs Harbour prepares students for study at an Australian High School. In the High School Preparation Program you learn how to communicate with Australian classmates and teachers as well as learning the English skills for High School subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Geography and History. You also receive regular homework and sit a monthly exam to test your progress.
Please Note: Study Tour Programs are not available to holders of students visas as their principal course of study. Participants must hold a visa other than a student visa such as a tourist or working holiday Visa.
For details of visa requirements go to www.immi.gov.au
Let us organise your tailor made Study Tour program. Southern Cross University has many different schools including music, law, natural medicine, indigenous studies, nursing, education, sciences, agriculture, forestry, business, information technology. For more information about Study Tour Activities available at Lismore go to: Lismore Study Tour Activities
OR contact us to discuss your individual Study Tour at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SCU English Language Centre at Coffs Harbour offers short term holiday programs (one to five weeks) for groups of students who wish to take English classes while enjoying the many attractions and activities available on Australia's Holiday Coast. These tours are designed specifically to provide professional development to mature aged students and people already working. These courses offer English for Specific Purposes in several fields including:
- International Business;
- Hotel Management;
- Information Technology;
- Child Studies;
- Sports (including golf).
For more information about Study Tour Activities available at Coffs Harbour go to: Coffs Harbour Study Tour Activities
OR contact us to discuss your individual Study Tour at: email@example.com
Gold Coast and Tweed Heads
Let us organise your tailor made Study Tour program. Southern Cross University has many different schools including music, law, natural medicine, indigenous studies, nursing, education , sciences, agriculture, forestry, business, information technology. The Southern Cross University Business School, and the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management currently offer a selection of their courses, at the new Gold Coast campus. For more information about Study Tour Activities available at Tweed Gold Coast go to: Gold Coast and Tweed Heads Study Tour Activities
OR contact us to discuss your individual Study Tour at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The three English Language Centres at Lismore, Coffs Harbour and Tweed Gold Coast all offer English for Specific Purposes (ESP) Programs.
Programs can include TAFE or Southern Cross University lectures and experiences, where groups can undertake English and further their studies in related tertiary subjects, e.g. English plus Nursing; English plus Hospitality; English plus Tourism; English plus Marine Mammal Awareness Training; English for Aviation; English plus Surfing; English plus Sports and many more.
Students can also join our English language classes plus join a related program in the afternoons, e.g. flying training.
- The Length of the programs and tours can be as long or as short as the Agents and their clients require
- All programs that are held at SCU English Language Centres are quoted on a minimum group size of 10 students
- Students should be 16 years and older (Coffs Harbour) and 18 years and older (Lismore and Gold Coast)
- All students must have Travel Insurance or Overseas Healthcare Cover (OSHC) to participate in any program held at the SCU English Language Centres
SCU English Language Centres at Lismore campus and Tweed Gold Coast campus offer IELTS Preparation classes. We have IELTS trained examiners who can offer a 10 week IELTS preparation class that will prepare you for your official IELTS test at the nearest registered IELTS testing centres. For more information contact: email@example.com
SCU English Language Centre at Coffs Harbour is an authorised OPEN TOEIC© TESTING CENTRE. This means we are accredited to administer the TOEIC© Test to any interested candidates. We have been chosen specifically as a testing centre because of our location, appropriate testing facilities, and the training and experience level of our staff.
For more information: TOEIC© Testing Centre
Updated: 22 March 2013