- Technology Services has procedures in place for installation of new computers at the Lismore campus and Gold Coast Campus. It is necessary to follow these procedures to ensure that all computers have the appropriate software installed to prevent virus attacks on the SCU network.
- Staff at Coffs Harbour should:
Step 1: ring xtn 3080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Monitor and other peripherals will also be delivered to CHECiT.
The procedure for staff to request the installation of a new computer is:
- Staff must log a call with the TS Service Desk on Ext 73698 or emailing email@example.com. You can also log a call online [study.scu.edu.au/it/servicedesk].
When ordering a new computer from our recommended suppliers you need to tell us:
a. User details (who the computer is for)
b. Type of computer
c. e-Req Number
d. Location for computer install
e. Special Considerations
- After the computer arrives at SCU Stores, Facilities Services will asset the computer then deliver to Technology Services for software installation. Facilities Services staff will deliver the monitor and any other peripherals to the location stipulated in the e-Req.
- Technology Services will install the Standard Software and configure the computer for the staff member.
- Technology Services will then contact the staff member and arrange a time for delivery and data transfer if required. Arrangements can also be made at this time to organise for data to be deleted from your old computer after being copied to your new computer and disposal procedures for your old computer.
To assist TS staff, it is requested that all staff who are receiving a new computer organise their data in SCU preferred manner (detailed below), this will also reduce the length of time its takes to transfer data to the new computer.
- Place all corporate data in your My Documents folder located at C:My Documents.
- Check desktop for any data that maybe located there and copy to C:My Documents.
- Move all folders, files or other data not located in C:My Documents to C:My Documents.
- List any extra data that cannot be moved or found, and advise Technology Services at time of data transfer.
- Technology Services will back up and transfer your email (if SCU approved application eg Eudora) and Internet Explorer favourites or bookmarks to the new computer.
All computers should be ordered with a Windows XP licence. No additional software is required other than this Operating System as upon receiving an installation request, the Client Technology Support Officer will install our Standard Operating Environment (SOE). This includes all standard software required by staff at Southern Cross.
If you require software that is not part of the SOE, you must have the software CD and a current license. If you don't already have this software contact the TS Service Desk for information regarding software supplier details and the ordering process.
Updated: 19 December 2012