Connecting a Personal Laptop to the SCU Network
This service is subject to approval by your Head of School and ultimately the Director of Technology Services and is only available to postgraduate students and visiting academics.
Southern Cross University staff members should be provided with access to a computer workstation. If access is not provided staff members should discuss the situation with their supervisor. In certain circumstances staff members can apply to connect their personal laptops to the SCU Network.
Staff members will need to contact the TS Desktop Manager to discuss this before proceeding with the steps outlined below.
If you are a Postgraduate student and your School does not provide you with access to a University owned computer you can apply to connect your personal laptop/desktop to the SCU network on campus.
Steps involved in connection
- Fill out the Application for Connection of Personal Equipment to the SCU Network and obtain approval from your Head of School/Cost Centre. Return form to Technology Services (scan and email to email@example.com.
- Make sure you have read and understood the Computing Conditions of Use Policy before signing and returning the Application form (pages 1-2) of this form.
- You will be contacted by the TS Service Desk once this form has been received to arrange a booking date for you to bring your laptop in. They will also get details from you regarding the services you need to access on the SCU network.
- When you deliver your laptop to Technology Services you will need to include the Laptop Admissions Sheet. Please provide all relevant details so that TS staff can work on your computer without delays.
What specifications must personal equipment meet
- Windows Vista/Windows 7
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
It is your responsibility to ensure these Service Packs are installed. Technology Services will not provide or install any Service Packs.
- OSX 10.4 or later versions
Upgrades to the Operating System are your responsibility. Technology Services will not provide or install OS upgrades.
The following computers will not be connected:
- Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4 or Windows 2000 computers
- OS9 and OSX 10.3 and earlier versions.
Updated: 15 September 2012