Computer Labs and Printing
General purpose computing labs are available for use by all SCU students. Hours of operations and support vary slightly from campus to campus however all labs provide access to the Internet, print facilities and have a standard suite of software available.
Some computing labs are available at all times for casual use ie. they are not timetabled for teaching purposes. Labs that are timetabled are still available for casual use however if a class is scheduled to commence please ensure you vacate the room in time for the class to commence.
There are also computers available for use in the Library e-Space and some Schools have dedicated computer labs for students enrolled in their courses.
Students and staff members may not connect their personal computer equipment to the network in computing labs.
This applies to all SCU campuses.
Lismore: Lismore campus Library provides connectivity for your laptop to the local area network through either wireless or an Ethernet cabled connection. Wireless connections are available and 8 cabled connections. You may configure either connection yourself or have library support staff assist you.
- Support and maintenance of the general purpose computing labs.
- Provision of standard operating environment.
- Preparation of software builds for computers based on teaching requirements.
- Support for students on computing matters associated with the use of the labs and associated network services.
- Assistance to teaching staff during classes for any matter related to the use of the facilities.
- Provision of standard print services via prepaid services card.
Coffs Harbour campus computer labs - additional information
First point of contact
Lismore Campus: Lab Service Desk, R Block
t: 02 6620 3698
Gold Coast Campus: Technology Services Support
t: 02 6620 3698
Coffs Harbour Campus: Service Desk, A Block
t: 02 6659 3080
Training and support
Support is provided for:
- Hardware problems: equipment faults
- System accounts: login details, passwords, disk quotas
- Printing queries and problems and supply of paper and toner for the laser printers
- General support for standard software: Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and SCU Email.
Course-related assistance is only provided by your lecturer or tutor. We strongly encourage the use of the online HELP feature of the program you are using, BEFORE seeking help from the lab support staff.
Teaching Staff who will be using the labs are encouraged to contact the lab support staff to familiarise themselves with equipment and software available.
There is online training (Microsoft IT Academy) available at www.scu.edu.au/it/ms-itacademy
Usually scheduled before 7am and after 8pm where possible to minimise disruption.
Updated: 12 November 2012