Research skills development
Liaison Librarians can collaborate with academic staff to help students become information literate. We will assist academics in embedding resources into units that help students to:
- analyse assessment tasks to determine the nature and extent of information needed
- understand the range of relevant information sources available to them
- critically evaluate the information sources they use, e.g. websites
- search effectively for, and retrieve, scholarly literature using Library databases and other tools
- understand the concept of academic integrity and recognise the need for appropriate referencing.
We can help academic staff to:
- plan and integrate IL programs into the curriculum
- develop and deliver customised training to students that relates directly to unit assessment tasks
- prepare training that complements the academic skills support offered by the Academic Skills Development Unit
- provide assistance to individuals or small groups by arrangement
- participate in units via MySCU by providing documents, recordings and other supplementary materials, or by monitoring discussion boards to answer students' queries.
For further information about Library support for information literacy contact the Liaison Librarian assigned to your School, College or Centre.
Updated: 02 January 2013