Science Summer School
What is the Science Summer School?
The Southern Cross University Science Summer School is a four week program for undergraduate students and recent graduates, interested in learning more about research.
Successful applicants will team up with one of Southern Cross University's leading researchers and undertake a short science-based research project on a real world problem.
Whilst completing the project you will undertake and gain experience in the many different aspects of research including field work, laboratory based activities, analysing data and writing up results and conclusions. It's a great opportunity to develop valuable field and laboratory skills, and experience what undertaking an honours, masters or PhD project is like.
Who is eligible?
The Science Summer School is open to the following applicants:
- students who are currently enrolled at a university, and have completed at least two years of their undergraduate degree;
- students who have recently completed their undergraduate degree; and
- professionals who have completed their degree or any other postgraduate studies within the past five years.
Applicants from either Australia or overseas are encouraged to apply.
Applicants will be ranked based on:
- their academic record;
- demonstrated interest in and/or capacity to conduct science based research; and
- the availability of research projects that match the applicants nominated preferences.
What is provided?
Successful applicants will be provided with the following:
- pre-arranged accommodation for the duration of the program;
- transport to and from field study locations;
- cover for expenses associated with laboratory work and field studies (students are expected to have their own basic personal protective gear like boots);
- a stipend of $400 per week for the duration of the program to assist with travel and living expenses.
How to apply?
Applications for the 2014 Science Summer School will open later in the year.
If you are interested in participating in the next Science Summer School and would like to be notified when applications open, please email your expression of interest to email@example.com.
For further information please contact 026620 3519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: 09 January 2013