How to Apply
Step 1 - Choose Course
Choose the research course in which you seek to enrol – either Masters by Thesis or PhD – and the field of study. For the complete list of research degree, go to:
Course award rules (this link goes to the Student Handbook).
Step 2 - Consult with the School Director of Higher Degrees by Research Training
You must discuss your prospective applications with the relevant School Director of Higher Degrees by Research Training prior to completing the form. This will ensure your research project complies with the SCU Research Profile.
Step 3 - Contact prospective research supervisor
After you have discussed the application with the SDHDRT, make contact with the suggested Principal Supervisor. This will ensure your proposed research topic is compatible with the suggested Principal Supervisor's research area/s. The PS may also make suggestions with respect to prospective Co-Supervisors.
Step 4 - Check your qualifications
Consult course details to ensure you have the relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent relevant experience - you will be required to submit certified copies of all relevant documents with your application including:
- Exam results if you are currently enrolled in an institution
- Academic Transcripts
- Applicants who have completed degrees overseas must submit Certified English Translations as well as copies of the original documents.
If you are a former student of Southern Cross University (SCU), Northern Rivers College of Advanced Education (NRCAE) or University of New England-Northern (UNE-NR) Rivers, you will not be required to provide these documents.
For complete details of documents to be submitted go to: Tertiary Qualifications
Step 5 - Check the English Language Requirements
If your undergraduate studies were not undertaken in English then you will be required to submit a copy of an original IELTS test result that show a score of 6.5 or better OR an original TOEFL test result that shows a score of 580 or better. Other evidence may be submitted but should be no more than 2 years old.
For complete details of English Language Requirements go to: English Language Requirements
Step 6 - Complete Application Form
Note: The following Schools/Special Research Centres correspond to the buttons below:
- Master of Arts - Gnibi College of Indigenous Australian Peoples, School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Master of Business - Southern Cross Business School, School of Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Master of Education - School of Education
- Master of Laws - School of Law and Justice
- Master of Science - School of Environment, Science and Engineering, School of Health and Human Sciences, Southern Cross Plant Science, Southern Cross GeoScience
Updated: 28 February 2013