This advice is provided as a guide only, to assist volunteer co-ordinators and volunteers in understanding the insurance cover which is in place for those volunteers providing services whilst under the direction or control of the University.
Scope of Cover
The University has in place insurance policies covering:
- Public Liability/Professional Indemnity
to protect the University and its staff, students and voluntary workers whilst involved in authorised activities.
Public Liability/Professional Indemnity
These policies provide protection* for the volunteer against any personal liability for their negligence, acts or omissions as a volunteer to the University community.
* This protection will not apply if the loss, damage or injury is a result of willful negligence, actions or omissions on the part of the volunteer.
- Death & Disablement - $100000
- Temporary Disablement - $500 per week maximum (the volunteer must be earning an income at the time of injury)
- Non-Medicare Medical - 85% of expenses not subject to any full or partial Medicare rebate nor recoverable from any other source, to a limit of $5000 in respect of any one Accidental Bodily Injury. An excess of $100 for each claim is payable.
Further information can be obtained from the Manager, Insurance and Risk Management, Kazia Lombardo [t: 6620 3696; e: email@example.com]
Refer also to the University's Volunteer Policy.
Updated: 28 August 2012