Industry placement - a kickstart to your career
A Work Integrated Learning (WIL) program, which consists of one workplace preparation unit and four internship units, is one of the strengths of every Southern Cross University tourism undergraduate course. The award winning* WIL program provides specialist support from a dedicated WIL team to ensure students gain valuable workplace experience in hospitality, hotel, tourism and events organisations in Australia and overseas. Many of the internship places are paid positions. This means students graduate job-ready with real life work experience and industry contacts.
*Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (2011)
Benefits for students
Students have the opportunity to:
- develop a greater awareness of employer expectations
- enter the competitive job market before completing their degree
- enhance and broaden management skills acquired during the course
- gain an understanding of the demands of the business environment
- develop the skills required for the job seeking process
- focus on potential career paths
See our graduate stories to find out what our graduates say about the internship program.
Assistance for students
The School's internship team is dedicated to ensuring that students are equipped with the skills and knowledge required to find a suitable industry placement. While ultimate responsibility for finding that placement rests with students, the internship office also coordinates a schedule of practical activities designed to enhance the student's career prospects including:
- an annual Careers Day each year, with opportunities for pre-arranged internship/graduate interviews with employers
- access to the MySCU Internship information site from day one of enrolment. This site contains résumé templates, commonly asked interview questions and other internship/job seeking tips
- access to UniHub, the University's online employment, internship and career information database
- assistance with internship scholarships
- regular email alerts promoting current internship and graduate roles
- ongoing support and feedback on career development and recruitment and selection processes for the duration of your studies with the STHM
- advice, academic supervision and mentoring whilst on internship.
- For full details download the Industry Internships brochure (PDF, 499KB)
- Recent internship destinations are also available for download.
Work Integrated Learning Coordinator
Ph: +61 2 6659 3620
F: +61 2 6622 2208
Updated: 14 January 2013