Dr Hans Wohlmuth
Senior Research Fellow and Pharmacognosist
t: +61 2 6620 3159
f: +61 2 6622 3459
BSc in Biology (Macquarie University)
PhD in Pharmacognosy (Southern Cross University)
Research interests / background
Hans Wohlmuth has been involved with medicinal plants and phytotherapy for more than 25 years and has taught at both undergraduate and postgraduate level for many years. He is the Curator of the Southern Cross University's Medicinal Plant Herbarium (PHARM) and a co-founder of the University's Herbal Authentication Service. He also serves on the Therapeutics Goods Administration's statutory Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines.
His research interest have included phytochemistry of ginger and the Zingiberaceae, herb-drug interactions involving St John's wort, chemotypes and quality control of passionflower, medicinal plants and the urinary system, the use of a seaweed extract in the treatment of osteoarthritis, and DNA microarray fingerprinting for the authentication of medicinal plant material.
Hans currently leads a research group focused on the identification of plant compounds with potential application for wound healing. This work is part of the Wound Management Innovation Cooperative Research Centre. Other research interests include authentication and analysis of herbal raw materials, the quality and safety of herbal medicinal products and ethnobotany.
- Curator, Southern Cross University's Medicinal Plant Herbarium and Garden
- Member, Therapeutic Goods Administration's Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Ethnopharmacology
- Editor: herbalmedicine@scu
Media releases and Interviews
- Plants provide start for development of pharmaceuticals - 13/08/2011 ABC Science Show interview with Robyn Williams
- An outline of the Wounds Cooperative Research Centre - 21/02/2011 SCU on iTunes U
- The Medicinal Plant Herbarium at SCU - 21/02/2011 SCU on iTunes U
- Native plants may hold the key to healing wounds - 10/12/2010
Updated: 06 November 2012