SCU Staff Directory
Dr Moya Costello
DipEd(SydTC), BA(Syd), GradDipMedia(VC), MA(Deakin), PhD(Adel)
Current Appointment: Adjunct Lecturer
Organisational Unit: Faculty of Business, Law and Arts
Location: School of Business, Law, Arts
I arrived at SCU for first semester 2008 and ended my continuing position late 2017. I am currently an adjunct lecturer. I am a writer and have worked as an editor. I’ve taught semester-long writing subjects at the University of Canberra (a subject I wrote) online, the University of Adelaide (a subject I wrote), and Flinders University. I have given single seminars at the universities of Western Sydney and South Australia. I have taught writing at TAFE and to community groups.
Grants and Awards
- Australia Council and Arts SA writing grants
- Varuna and Barbara Hanrahan Fellowships
- Writer-in-Residence, Monash University
- guest: Sydney, Melbourne, Byron, Yamba, Gold Coast and Bellingen Writers Festivals. I launched my first book at the Adelaide Festival Writers Week, on the committee 1998-2000 and judged the Festival/Premier’s nonfiction award.
- judged awards eg Bank SA short-story, Friendly Street Poetry, Carmel Bird Digital..
Books: two collections of short fiction, two short novels, and one collectin of prose poems. pressed specimens: Prose Poems from the Medicinal Plant Herbarium, Southern Cross University, from Beir Bua Press 2022. Numerous short creative prose pieces published in anthologies and literary journals. Edited a number of anthologies.
(please see the link above for papers):
- the Australian writer Murray Bail
- fabric and affect with Dr Denise Rall
- art writing (also with Dr Rob Garbutt)
- home (with SASS colleagues)
- food and wine (also with Dr Steve Evans)
- creative-writing pedagogy
- experimental writing
- the gothic (also with Tessa Chuddy and Dr Nell Cook)
- educating literary professionals in a region
Introduction to Creative Writing, Prose, Writing Genre, Writing from the Edge, Writing Short Stories, Issues and Themes in Contemporary Writing, Food and Wine Writing, Introduction to Editing and Publishing, and supervised in Independent and Writing Projects.
PhDs: as principal one Masters and six PhDs, co-supervised three (two at the University of Adelaide) PhDs. Subject matter: writing and visual art, scriptwriting, Atlantic salve trade, Picasso, Gothic/Noir, coastal living, storytelling and community transformation. Examined approximately 8 + PhDs and as many Masters (from universities of Canberra, New South Wales, Western Sydney, Adelaide, Victoria, Deakin, CQU, SQU, La Trobe, RMIT).
Honours: Supervised four theses to first-class, and three more. Subject matter: children’s writing, experimental writing, digital technologies (and realism and familial relationships), film script (non-horror serial murder), and short stories (community/place/loss). Examined many theses from Griffith University, the University of Adelaide, SCU etc.
- Member of now defunct Arts and Culture Policy Advisory Group, Lismore City Council, Friends Lismore Regional Gallery (for whom I have written a catalogue essay), Byron Writers Festival, and informal Lismore Wine Club, Station Hotel.
- Read/perform my work at various venues.
- Chair numerous sessions at the Brisbane, Bellingen and Bryon Bay Writers Festivals.
- Wrote a wine review column for the Northern Rivers Echo 2009-2010 and The Village Journal (2012-present).
- Organised/co-organised eight readings in the Northern Rivers.