Applying for a position
Your application is a summary of what you would like us to know about your skills and experience, relevant to the position you are applying for. The following information is provided to assist you in preparing your application:
Find out as much information as possible about the position, the University (including its Values, focus and strategic direction) and the region to help you decide whether applying for a position at Southern Cross University is right for you.
- Examine the position advertisement and decide whether you have the skills, qualifications, experience and personal attributes the position requires;
- Review what you have discovered and consider whether our Values, strategic direction and the role are the right fit for you;
- Speak to the contact person to obtain more information about the role, ask questions or clarify any concerns you may have;
- Use the links provided in SCU at a glance and Why work at SCU to find out more about the University and the region; and, if appropriate
- Discuss your intentions with family members who may be affected by your plans.
The information in your application will be used to determine whether or not you are short-listed for an interview.
Complete the online application and upload the following documents as one pdf attachment with:
- Your current curriculum vitaé (CV) at the front (ensure your contact details and details of two nominated referees are included in your CV); and
- A statement clearly addressing each of the selection criteria at the back of the document.
As part of your application, you will be required to provide contact details for two recent referees. At least one of your referees must be a current supervisor. Let your referees know they may be contacted to comment on your recent work performance (your referees may find it helpful if you provide them with a copy of the position description).
The statement you provide addressing each of the selection criteria plays a critical part in the Panel's assessment of your application.
Address each of the selection criteria separately, giving clear and concise examples that demonstrate how you meet the criteria (eg provide your relevant work experience or describe a situation where you have demonstrated this skill or personal attribute) [see Hints for your application].
Your CV should cover the major positions you have held in chronological order, with your most recent position listed first.
- Title and level of the position;
- Dates employed in the position;
- Reasons for leaving or wanting to leave; and
- Responsibilities and main duties for each position.
Also include a summary of your educational qualifications and relevant training courses completed, together with any awards received and membership of professional bodies. Please do not attach copies of these qualifications or certificates.
Your online application should be completed by the advertised closing date. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Upload the following documents, in the order shown below, as one pdf document:
- Your CV at the front; and
- A statement addressing each of the selection criteria at the back of the document.
To allow us to process your application efficiently, please title your attachment in the following convention:
'FAMILY NAME, First name Vacancy ID number' - eg BROWN, John 123456
After completing the online application, a message confirming your application has been successfully submitted will be displayed. You will not receive an email confirmation.