Portfolio and interview for the Bachelor of Art and Design
Students can apply for the Bachelor of Art and Design either through the NSW University Admissions Centre (UAC) or the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) or they may apply directly to the University. If you are a STAR applicant, you will apply directly to the University.
To be eligible for selection to the Bachelor of Art and Design and in addition to satisfying normal entry requirements of the University, applicants will be invited to an interview to present a portfolio of work. The interview provides the opportunity to question staff about all aspects of the course and to demonstrate evidence of aptitude for, and commitment to their proposed area of study.
Our next round of interviews for STAR Early Entry begin on 28 - 30 September 2020 at our Lismore campus. For all other applicants, interviews are on 23 - 27 November 2020 at our Lismore campus.
Please note: Applicants have the option of an on-campus or telephone interview. In the occurrence of on-campus interviews being unavailable due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be conducted by telephone. We will contact applicants to advise of any changes. All applicants will need to provide a digital copy of their portfolio prior to the interview.
If you cannot make these dates, the final round will be held in January 2021. Dates are yet to be confirmed.
Within each 20 minute interview, applicants will be asked to present a folio of works. Applicants will be selected for the program on the basis of:
- The quality of the portfolio
- The potential for development
- Familiarity with contemporary art practice
- Communication skills.
Your e-portfolio should be representative of your artmaking especially over the past two years and include images of:
- 2D and/or 3D works such as paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs, prints HSC major works, thematic projects
- Journal and sketchbook pages
- Any other material.
Applicants are also asked to:
- Provide a curriculum vitae (CV) listing art-related activities, general experience, employment history, and other courses undertaken.
Portfolio interviews will be conducted at Lismore and by telephone.
You are required to present a portfolio of your artistic practice and interests. During the interview, you will be asked to discuss your artworks and answer any questions about your process.
Your folio should be comprised of the following:
- Select 10 works minimum demonstrating an engagement in your preferred media. If you are a current school leaver you are able to use your Year 11 and Year 12 portfolio.
- Your folio should include observational and general drawings, sketchbooks, and/or any other relevant work, such as paintings, photographs, journals, three-dimensional objects and new media works.
- A folio may include a range of oil, acrylic and/or watercolour paintings. Please also include drawings, sketchbooks, notebooks and other visual work which may include digital prints, collage, photo, sculptural/installation and digital-based works and any other relevant materials which may indicate broader aspects of your practice and your creative interests. Where possible, physical folios should be brought in to the interview, however photographs or a video of work may be presented at the interview if it is impractical to transport your work, or the work is site-specific or ephemeral.
Specifications for digital works
Images, video and sound must be brought in to your interview on USB stick only. Images should be saved no greater than 1MB, each as JPEG. Video is acceptable as a 2-3 minutes showreel as a single QuickTime movie file. It must be playable on QuickTime and VLC media players, on MAC computers. Video can also be uploaded to Youtube or Vimeo for viewing. All files must be numbered to correspond to a separate listing of the title, date, medium and dimensions of each work. Please check all USBs before your interview to ensure they play as intended.
Applicants who choose Lismore as their preferred interview location are required to bring their portfolio of work on a USB stick with a CV on the day.
Applicants who choose telephone as their preferred interview location are required to submit an e-portfolio of their work to firstname.lastname@example.org including a CV, prior to their scheduled interview day.
After the interview
Southern Cross University will contact all applicants between the end of September and early February.
Applicants who have not been contacted by the end of January should call the University on 1800 005 687.