Images and artworks
Artworks include photographs, drawings and graphs, and are generally not required to have any particular level of artistic merit to attract copyright protection.
The following conditions apply to copying artworks for educational or administrative purposes within the University.
- Copies may be distributed in hard copy or electronic form.
- All electronic copies must contain a warning notice and must only be communicated to students or staff (i.e. not on publicly accessible websites).
- All copies must include appropriate attribution.
Examples of works
- All of a work that has not been separately published
For example: A diagram in a book that has not been published, for example as a postcard or a poster, can be reproduced in full.
- All of an artwork that accompanies or explains the text being copied
For example: A photo that is included in a page of text being copied can be reproduced without having to investigate whether it has been separately published.
- All of an artwork copied from an electronic source
For example: An artwork copied from an electronic source, e.g. on a website, can be reproduced without having to investigate whether it has been separately published.
Using copyrighted images
If you need to use a copyrighted image, it will need to be uploaded to myReadings to ensure we are following copyright.
- If you are looking to use an image from a textbook, send a request through us to get it scanned and added to your unit's myReading page.
- If you find an image on the web and are unsure of the copyright status, please ask the Copyright Office.
Using Open & Creative Commons licensed images
Here are some links to sites where you can search for open or Creative Commons licensed images:
- OpenVerse Creative Commons
- This should be your starting point as you will find a lot available here
- CSIRO Science Images
- Collection of CC-licensed pictures of nature and science-related topics
- Free to use images under Pexel Rights
- Free to use images under the Pixabay License
- Free to use images under the Unsplash License
- Flickr Creative Commons
- Limit or filter your search to CC-licensed images
- Wellcome Collection - Images
- Collection of various rights images - has a good collection of microscopic images and molecular models
- Trove (National Library of Australia)
- Image search of Australian content - you will need to check licensing as they won't all be CC-licensed
- Google Images
- Limit your search under Usage rights > Creative Commons licenses