Preparing to go

Video: Outbound Exchange Pre-Departure Part One
View the video transcript

Video: Outbound Exchange Pre-Departure Part Two
View the video transcript

Video: Outbound Exchange Pre-Departure Part Three
View the video transcript

Pre-departure Quiz

Take the Pre-departure Quiz

This quiz is an essential part of getting ready for your trip and must be completed by all students participating in an outbound exchange or short-term program.

Passports and Visas

You will need a passport and generally you will need a visa to study and travel abroad. Make sure you check VISA REQUIREMENTS early and also consider other countries you may wish to travel to whilst overseas.

Visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for more information.

If you don't have a passport, wait until your acceptance at the overseas institution has been confirmed. In preparation, make sure you have a full certified copy of your birth certificate and four colour passport-size photographs.

Some countries require you to complete your visa online whilst other, like the USA, require you to attend an interview at the Consulate or Embassy. Make sure you take all the necessary documentation include acceptance from your overseas institution in the interview.

Read more about studying overseas.

Travel Insurance

If you are undertaking an approved school led program you will be covered under the University's corporate travel insurance for the program. 

Some partner institutions require you take out their cover. You will not be approved for the SCU exchange program without sufficient medical insurance.