Video Transcript: Outbound Exchange Pre-Departure Part Two


Health and safety
Hello again, how did you go with the questions did you know all the answers?
Again there will some more questions so let's get on to part two.

Now you have your passports and visas and you're almost ready to go so let's take a look at health and safety. Please don't take your safety for granted while you are overseas. There are a few things you can do before you leave to make sure you are happy and healthy while you are away. As sometimes things can go wrong and you need to be prepared. Let get started.

Let's get started
You should make an appointment to see your doctor at least three months before you leave home, to get:

  • Any immunisations you may need as some vaccinations need time to become effective or require multiple doses.
  • A letter from your doctor that describes all of your medical conditions and the medication prescribed along with the generic names of medications.
  • Details about the availability of these medications in your host country.
  • An adequate supply of prescriptions or the medications you'll need while away you will also need to check what restrictions apply to types and amounts of medication you will be taking.

TROY I had to have six MMR vaccine shots, with a month wait in between each one before I could prove my immunity before going overseas.

You should also have a dental check-up before your departure and bring extra eyeglasses, contact lenses and a copy of your prescription. It's also a good idea to pack a first aid kit, and inform your university abroad's coordinator of any existing health concerns - in an emergency situation it is crucial that this information is readily available.

Disability Checklist
If you are concerned as to whether having a disability will affect your ability to study abroad, or you are unsure as to how to determine your best host country and university, please contact a staff member at SCU International

As an SCU outbound exchange student you have the option to be covered by the university's official insurance provider, for the duration of your studies overseas, plus seven days on either side of the program, however you need to research the level of cover offered as some exclusions apply. Travel Insurance is your responsibility.

You will not be approved for the SCU exchange experience without sufficient medical insurance. Some partner institutions require you take out their cover. Medical expenses in foreign countries can be expensive.

Comprehensive travel insurance covers you against luggage theft, damage, and health related cover and is available through travel agents and medical benefit funds. It is a good idea to obtain your own health insurance if you intend to travel before or after your study abroad. If you require advice or assistance please contact SCU International.

Please note your host university may require you to purchase additional insurance - some countries and universities will only accept the insurance plans that they specify.  You should confirm with your host university about any additional insurance requirements.  Again this is your responsibility.

TROY: I travelled a month before study so I got separate travel insurance.

Smart Traveller and DFAT registration
Have you heard about International SOS? This is a travel emergency service offered to all outbound SCU students.  International SOS assistance and advice, both pre-trip and while abroad, covers medical, security and travel risk associated with overseas travel and support including assistance and evacuation services.

In Australia, Smartraveller, part of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provides up-to-date travel advice which you can subscribe to, this allows you to register your travel plans, and also provides links to insurance. Go to www.smartraveller.gov.au or registering with Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade at dfat.gov.au/travel/visas/pages/visas-for-australians-travelling-overseas.aspx so that:

  • The Government can reach you in emergencies
  • you Check for safety, health and travel warnings
  • log onto DFAT's 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre (CEC)
  • Alternative contact to host country Australian Embassy / Consulate.
  • Useful contact for family in Australia.

RYAN: I registered with Smartraveller because it was safe and easy and it was a great way for friends and family to know I was safe no matter where in the world I was.

Laws in your host country
We recommend that you learn as much as you can about the laws of your host country and other countries you intend to visit. Remember that you must obey the local laws while overseas.
You should research safety conditions and emergency numbers in your host country before you go. And remember that your safety is important and it's up to you to stay safe:

  • Be aware of where you are and who is around
  • Stay in groups and away from potential unsafe situations like dark streets or poorly lit parks.
  • Ask the locals about what's safe or unsafe in their city
  • Familiarize yourself with your host university's security or police enforcement and their contact details and emergency numbers
  • And don't be afraid to ask for help.

Remember your wellbeing is your responsibility.

MELINDA: Travel can sometimes be dangerous use your common sense and go with your gut, update your Smartraveller regularly and keep in contact with family and friends telling them your travel plans.

For more in-depth information please visit the website for:

I hope this helps but remember there is a lot more information available.
Please answer the questions before moving onto section three cultural adjustments. See you soon.