Become a UniMentor
Students who have successfully completed the equivalent of one year of study at the University can volunteer to become a UniMentor.
Face-to-face and on-line mentoring opportunities are available. UniMentors receive training and certificates for training and participation in the program each session.
UniMentors experience the 'joy of giving' and contributing to a student-friendly, respectful and supportive University community.
Benefits of becoming a UniMentor include:
- developing and practising leadership and communication skills
- meeting new people and helping others
- enhancing your CV skillset
- attaining Training and Appreciation Certificates from the University
"Being a UniMentor is both a privilege and an honour, I would advise all students take the opportunity to give back and support our beautiful university, to enhance our environment." (UniMentor)
To become a UniMentor:
- log in to MySCU
- select UniMentor from the Useful Links section in upper left
- when you first access this site please click on +ENROL and Submit
- then select Book Mentor Training from the menu on the left
- choose the time and date of the on-campus or on-line training session that suits you best and click the Sign Up button. You are now registered for training.
NB: If you need to change the training date you have selected please email email@example.com
UniMentors have a keen desire to help other students settle in and feel they belong at the University.
UniMentors complete training and undertake the duties of the UniMentor role, including:
- arranging meetings (face-to-face or on-line) during the study session,
- keeping in regular contact with their mentees via email,
- being available to offer support and assistance, or refer mentees to services , and
- respecting the privacy and confidentiality of mentees.
UniMentors are not expected to be academic tutors. The amount of time it takes to help mentees can vary, but most UniMentors say they spend less than one hour per week.
Once a student has completed Unimentor training they are able to upload their profile to the MySCU UniMentor site. This profile includes a short bio and information for potential mentees and the number of mentees that the UniMentor is available to assist.
The UniMentor team is here to support you on-campus and on-line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Coffs Harbour campus - email@example.com
Gold Coast campus - firstname.lastname@example.org
Lismore campus - email@example.com
On-Line - firstname.lastname@example.org
"It is an awesome experience not just because you get to help others, but also because you get to develop more insight regarding your strengths and weaknesses." (UniMentor)