Equity and Diversity Contacts
Equity and Diversity Contacts act as a point of contact for staff and students who may have a query or concern about an equity or diversity matter. They are staff of the University who have a genuine commitment to the principles of equity and social justice and volunteer to take on this role.
Equity and Diversity Contacts play an active role in promoting equity and diversity within the University. They are proactive agents who assist in promoting an inclusive workplace and learning culture that values and affirms both the principles and practice of equity and diversity.
Role of Equity & Diversity Contacts
Equity & Diversity Contacts can;
- assist a staff member or student to clarify a situation,
- identify the nature of an enquiry/complaint and provide information on the scope of University policies/procedures & possible options available to resolve a matter, including for further assistance, referral to a Student Equity & Disability Officer, or for staff matters, referral to the Head, Equity & Diversity,
- inform the person about the key principles underpinning University policies and, in particular, confidentiality, natural justice and rights of all parties,
- deal with enquiries whilst maintaining strict confidentiality, and
- keep data regarding enquiries and provide this confidential information to the Head, Equity and Diversity Services.
The Equity and Diversity Contact role does not include advocacy.
Confidentiality must be strictly observed and University policies and procedures strictly adhered to. The names of parties and other persons directly involved in the matters of concern shall not be divulged to any persons beyond the Equity and Diversity Contacts and others nominated in the relevant policies and procedures.
Enquiry Record Forms with statistical details of the enquiry/concern and outcome that does not reveal the identity of the parties will be maintained. These records are held with the Head, Equity and Diversity who reports on organisational trends to the Deputy Vice Chancellor.
As this role is a voluntary one, it is crucial that any staff member interested in taking on the role has the support of their supervisor and manager before putting forward a nomination.
Enquiries regarding Equity and Diversity Contacts can be directed to the Head, Equity and Diversity, Nicola Best on 6626 9110 or by email to email@example.com