RISE Conference 2020
Communicating Outside Scientific Circles
Research in Environment, Science and Engineering (RISE) Conference 2020
On the 27th and 28th of October the School of Environment, Science and Engineering will host the ninth annual RISE (Research In Environment, Science, and Engineering) conference. The RISE conference aims to provide a supportive and fun experience for postgrads in the environment, engineering and core sciences at Southern Cross University to engage with and share each other’s research, develop confidence and communication skills.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, RISE will be hosted and streamed online from the Lismore and NMSC campuses in a COVID-safe way. This will benefit RISE by expanding to a broader audience in order to share the findings of early-career SCU researchers more widely. Accordingly, RISE 2020’s theme is 'Communicating Outside Scientific Circles'. It highlights the importance for scientists to present with integrity, to build trust, break down barriers, and communicate our evolving knowledge with the broader community.
Our conference organising committee this year includes:
- Convenor: Kirsten Ellis
- Secretary: Brendan Cox
- Treasurer: Louis Iyagbaye
- Programming Committee: Parya Samadi, Endang Jamal, Exhaussee Boukaka
- Media Committee: Reza Sedighi, Mahesh Edla
- NMSC co-ordinator: Nicola Fraser
- Academic Mentors: Mandy Reichelt-Brushett, Mitchell Kirby
- Administrative Support: Margy Hare
This conference is sponsored by SCPA.
Download the RISE 2020 abstract template.
We are welcoming abstract submissions for the following presentation types:
- Full length (10-minute talk and 5-minute questions) traditional scientific conference presentation
- Flash talk (5 minutes) early researcher presentation no questions
- Public talk (up to 3-minute pre-recorded presentation + group panel session) within the conference theme a presentation designed for the public
- Group presentation (15-minute slot) share your collaborative research
- Poster presentation (preferred size A0 portrait) a recorded introduction is welcomed
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 9:30 AM - NSW time To: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 3:00 PM - NSW time
Time: 9:30 am Tuesday to 3:00pm Wednesday
Venue: Streaned Online from Y Block Lecture theatre, Southern Cross University, Military Road, Lismore and the National Marine Science Centre Coffs Harbour.
Registrations are now open and abstracts submission have been EXTENDED to 6th September, 2020:
Upload abstracts and register
Non presenters register here