Eligible applicants can apply for a Research Training Program-supported place. This will provide a tuition fee offset funded by the Australian Government's Research Training Program. Southern Cross University will then supplement this cost to cover the full program tuition fees.
If unsuccessful in obtaining a Research Training Program place, students may be required to pay fees.
Applications are considered on a case by case basis and the process can be highly competitive.
Course fees for International Students are $26,000 per annum (2020 rate), unless a tuition fee waiver has been approved as per the below detailed information.
A request for a tuition fee offset can only be approved by the Dean, Graduate Studies providing there is support from the Principal Supervisor, SDHDRT and Head of School/College/Research Centre. For a request to be considered, the following criteria need to be taken into account:
- Academic quality of the student is of high standing
- Appropriate level of English proficiency (an IELTS score of 6.5 or better, including a minimum score of 6.0 in the sub-bands)
- Expected research outcomes, quality of project and how it fits with the Supervisory team research areas
- Whether the School/College/Research Centre and Supervisory team have the resources and facilities to support the project
- If the HDR applicant is not on a scholarship, evidence must be provided that they can support themselves during their candidature.
The Dean, Graduate Studies, will assess the request according to these criteria together with the application for admission to candidature and will seek further clarification if the above-mentioned criteria are not satisfied. If the tuition fee offset is approved by the Dean, this is recorded in the Student Administration System and conveyed to the student in the letter of offer for admission to candidature.
Tuition Fee Offsets that are not approved will mean the applicant will be required to pay full fees. If it is not obvious that the HDR applicant’s project will enhance the research output of the University and that of the Supervisory team, fees will apply.