Pre-placement compliance requirements

All Bachelor of Social Welfare, Bachelor of Community Welfare and Master of Social Work students must meet these compliance requirements before being approved to enrol in Field Education Units.

You will upload your compliance documents to SONIA, our professional placement database for students. Log-in to SONIA. For more information about SONIA, including how to download the SONIA App, go to our FAQs.

Start Immediately:  Enrolment for professional experience units will require students to fulfil vaccination and compliance requirements*.

Requirement Valid Cost Time required Submission Checklist


Specific to each vaccination Yes 4+ months Scan (PDF) and upload to SONIA check

National Police Certificate**

3 years Yes Up to 30 days Scan and upload to SONIA check

QLD Blue Card

Required for QLD students and those students living in the Tweed Region of NSW 

3 years No Up to 8 weeks

Scan and upload to SONIA check

Working with children checks – each state has different requirements

As per state regulations No Approximately 4 weeks Apply online for NSW Working With Children Check


Up-to-date resume with two referees

Update for second placement

No Need help with your CV? Email the University’s Careers and Employability team Scan and upload to SONIA check

Placement Planning Form

Complete a new form for each placement No

Must be completed by the deadline:

Tri term 1/Dual term 2/Term 1 2023: 31 August 2022 

E-form available via SONIA forms tab, submit to clear the check

Professional Experience Activity Student Agreement

Complete a new form for each placement No


E-form available via SONIA forms page, submit to clear the check
SCU Career Success Module

Complete before first placement

No   Online Module
Apply First Aid including CPR Complete before placement (First Aid 3 years, CPR 1 year) Yes   Scan and upload to SONIA check

** International students will need to submit both an International Police Certificate and National Police Certificate.

Enrolling in a field education unit

You can not self-enrol in field education units for the Bachelor of Community Welfare or Master of Social Work. You should submit a Unit Approval Request (UAR) once you have uploaded your planning form, resume and declaration. As WWC and Blue Card approvals can take 1 - 2 months, you can submit a UAR as long as you can prove you have applied for your WWC or Blue Card. You will not be able to go on placement until your WWC or Blue Card are approved.

Once submitted, Client Services will check your course progression and confirm that you are eligible for placement. If you are eligible and have met your pre-placement compliance requirements the Professional Experience Unit will approve your request.

To confirm your eligibility for placement ensure that you meet the requirements outlined in the enrolment information for your chosen unit.

Before you submit a UAR watch this short video, then:

  1. Log into MyEnrolment.
  2. Select Study Plans at the top of the page
  3. Select Unit Approval Request on the left-hand side.
  4. Complete all the unit details.

In the free text box add this statement: This unit has an enrolment restriction so I am unable to self-enrol. I have submitted all my pre-placement documents.

Professional Experience Unit

Having a successful placement is an important step in completing your degree. The Professional Experience Unit (PEU) team in the Faculty of Health is here to support you.

If you require further information or need assistance you can email the Professional Experience Unit or call them on +61 7 5589 3439.


Contact the Faculty of Health

Executive Dean, Faculty of Health

T: +61 2 6620 3557


Discipline Heads and Course Coordinators

Contact us

Director of Higher Degree Research

T: +61 2 6659 3688