Frequently asked questions

Do I need to go through an agent to apply to study at one of Southern Cross University’s main campuses?

A: Yes, you need to send your application through an approved main campus agent to study at Southern Cross University. The agent will help you with your application process. To find out who your nearest city approved agent is please download the International Student Guide at the top of this page, or visit our Education Agents page.

How do I apply for a student visa?

A: The agent will assist you to apply for a visa from the Australian Government. More information on Australian study visas can be found on the Australian Government website.

What kind of accommodation is there and where can I live?

A: Southern Cross University offers services to help students find off-campus rental accommodation (UniStays) or accommodation at one of our on-campus residential colleges at our Lismore and Coffs Harbour campuses. Off-campus accommodation options include houses or units that can be rented independently or with other people, and there are also private home-stay opportunities where students can live with a local Australian family.

Visit our accommodation for Southern Cross University students page for more information.

How much does it cost to live in Australia if I attend one of Southern Cross University’s main campuses?

A: Southern Cross University students studying at our main campus locations in Lismore, Coffs Harbour and Gold Coast may benefit from the reduced cost of living compared to Australian capital cities. Visit our cost of living page for a general weekly guide for the cost of living for Southern Cross University students. These costs are considerably lower than what is shown on the ‘financial capacity requirements’ to get your visa. We also recommend that you use the student visa financial capacity requirements as outlined by the Department of Home Affairs.

When will I know the outcome of my application?

A: After your agent lodges a full application on your behalf, if your application is successful Southern Cross University aims to have an offer to you within 3-5 working days.

What IELTS or comparative approved tests do I need to obtain to study at Southern Cross University?

A: The IELTS or equivalent English language standard varies depending on the course. Please visit Southern Cross University’s course and fees page for specific course information.

How many international students does Southern Cross University have?

A: In 2019, Southern Cross University had about 6000 international students studying across the main campuses at Lismore, Coffs Harbour and Gold Coast from more than 40 different countries – making up just under a third of all student enrolments. India was in the top two nationalities of international students at Southern Cross in 2019-2021. To find more information about Southern Cross University’s student statistics, visit our ‘At a glance’ page.

Is it safe to live In Australia?

A: While Australia is considered one of the safest countries in the world, like any country, we recommend our students follow everyday safety standard procedures and community safety measures. Australia ranks number 13 in the world in the Global Peace Index, with a ‘very high’ rating for state of peace.

What is the food like in Australia?

A: Australian cuisine is very multicultural, with influences from regions around the globe. Students from South Asia can explore the many Australian cuisines on offer, but can also shop at South Asian/Indian specific food stores, or enjoy authentic Indian restaurant experiences. There are large, multi-generational Indian communities who live near Southern Cross University’s main campuses.

Discover Southern Cross University, in partnership with

Study Gold Coast logo

Top of Page