t: +61 2 6622 3459
f: +61 2 6622 2080
Michael has extensive experience in Organic Analytical Chemistry. He has developed analytical methods for the analysis of a wide range compounds using instruments including Gas Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry (GCMSMS) and Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LCMSMS).
Prior to joining SCU he worked at the Racing Science Centre in Brisbane conducting Doping control analysis for pharmaceuticals and performance altering compounds in racehorses and greyhounds. At the CSIRO Centre for Environmental Contaminants Research in Adelaide he worked on Pharmaceuticals, Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals, Disinfection By products and Pesticides in a variety of research projects and consultancies.
He also worked at the NSW DPI, Wollongbar (Northern NSW) in pesticide residues and essential oil analysis.
- Stacey, S. P.; McLaughlin, M. J.; Çakmak, I.; Hettiarachchi, G. M.; Scheckel, K. G.; Karkkainen, M., Root Uptake of Lipophilic Zinc-Rhamnolipid Complexes. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2008, 56, (6), 2112-2117.
- Kirby, J. K.; Lyons, G. H.; Karkkainen, M. P., Selenium Speciation and Bioavailability in Biofortified Products Using Species-Unspecific Isotope Dilution and Reverse Phase Ion Pairing-Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2008, 56, (5), 1772-1779.
- Van Zwieten, L., Anderson, L., Karkkainen, M. and Tyler, A. (1998)Remediation of Acaricide Solutions in Cattle Tick Dip Sites to Minimise Soil and Environmental Contamination: Filtration.Land Contamination and Reclamation, 6 (3), 1998.
- Fernandes, M., Shareef, A., Karkkainen, M. and Kookana, R. (2008) The occurrence of endocrine disrupting chemicals and triclosan in sediments of Barker Inlet, South Australia: a reported prepared for the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Board. SARDI Publication No. F2008/001026-1. South Australian Research & Development Institute (Aquatic Sciences), Adelaide,11 pp.
- Williams, M.; Woods, M.; Kumar, A.; Ying, G. G.; Shareef, A.; Karkkainen, M.; Kookana, R., Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals in the Australian Riverine Environment. A Pilot Study on Estrogenic Compounds. Land and Water Australia: 2007.
- Ryder M, Walsh F, Douglas J, Waycott M, Robson H, Singh Z, De Sousa Majer M, Collins T, White J and Cheers B. 2009. Sustainable bush produce systems: Progress Report 2004-2006, DKCRC Working Paper 31, Desert Knowledge CRC, Alice Springs.Section 5 Steroidal glycoalkaloids in the fruit of Solanum centrale.
- Tyler, A.L. and Karkkainen, M. (1997) A method of Analysis for Amitraz and its metabolites in Cattle Tick Dip Fluids, Soils, Sludge's, Formulations, Composts and Waters. 16th Conference of Pesticide Residue Chemists, Melbourne.
- Shareef, A., Angove, M., Karkkainen, M., and Kookana, R. (2006). Artefacts in Silylation of Estrogens: Are we underestimating the levels of ethynylestradiol (EE2) in the environment What's in Our Water? 2nd Australasian Symposium and Workshop Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs), Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products (PPCPs) organised by CSIRO Land and Water, 21-22 November 2006, Canberra, Australia.