Dr Catherine Nock
t: +61 2 6620 3398
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=HdmhrHgAAAAJ
BSc in Biology (University of New South Wales)
MSc in Genetics (Southern Cross University)
PhD in Genetics (Southern Cross University)
My research interests include the genomics, population genetics, phylogenetics and conservation of Australian species. Current research is focused on the macadamia genome sequence and its potential for understanding the genetic basis of traits of economic importance to the macadamia industry and of adaptive importance for wild populations.
Recent Research Grants
- $170,526. Horticulture Innovation Australia “Establishing an open-source platform for unravelling the genetics of Macadamia: integration of linkage and genome maps” 2015-2019 (J. Nock, A. Baten, G.J. King, SCU)
- $158,596. Sugar Research Australia "Validation of LSB-PCR diagnostic for ratoon stunting disease and characterisation of non-Lxx strains of Leifsonia associated with sugarcane" 2014-2017 (A.J. Young, NSW Sugar, C.J. Nock, SCU)
- $45,000. NSW Government, Industry and Investment and Mustard Seeds Finance Trust "Whole genome shotgun sequencing for variety identification of macadamia" 2011-2012 (C.J. Nock)
- Southern Cross University Institutional Biosafety Committee
- First Aid Officer and Emergency Warden
- Southern Cross University Representative: Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild fauna and flora (CITES)
- Scientific Member, Macadamia Conservation Committee
- Young, A.J. and Nock, C.J. (2017) Molecular detection of diverse Leifsonia strains associated with sugarcane. Plant Disease 101:1422-1431
- Claassens A., Nock, C.J., van Zwieten, L. and Rose, T.J. (2017) Mycorrhizal fungi interactions with nutrients, pests and pathogens in sugarcane: a review. Proceedings of the 39th Conference of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists. 39:326-332
- Nock, C.J. Baten, A., Barkla, B.J., Furtado, A., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2016) Genome and transcriptome sequencing confirms the gene space of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). BMC Genomics 17(1): 937.
- Young, A.J., Kawamata, A., Ensbey, M.A., Lambley, E. and Nock, C.J. (2016) Efficient diagnosis of Ratoon Stunting Disease of sugarcane by quantitative PCR on pooled leaf sheath biopsies. Plant Disease 100(12): 2492-2498.
- Ahmad Termizi, A.A., Hardner, C.M., Batley, J., Nock, C.J. Hayashi, S., Montenegro, J.D. and Edwards, D. (2016) SNP analysis of (2016) Macadamia integrifolia chloroplast genomes to determine the genetic structure of wild populations. Acta Horticulturae 100(12): 1109, 175-180.
- Henry, R.J., Rice, N., Edwards, M. and Nock C.J. (2014) Next generation technologies to determine plastid genome sequences. Chapter2, Pp 39-46 In: Chloroplast Biotechology, Methods and Protocols series: Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 132. Humana Press.
- Nock, C.J., Baten, A., Langdon, K., Barkla, B., Hardner, C., Topp, B., Furtado, A., Henry, R. and King, G.J (2017) The Macadamia Genome Project. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Hardner C.M., Nock C.J., Batley J., Ahmad Termizi A., Hayashi S., Montenegro J.D. and Edwards D. (2017) Domestication of Macadamia in Hawai’i. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Peace, C., Hardner, C.M. and Nock, C.J. (2017) Genetic origins of macadamia cultivars: what we know so far. The Macadamia Genome Project. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Alam, M., Hardner, C., Nock, C., O’Connor, K. and Topp, B. (2017) Historical and molecular evidence of genetic identity of HAES741 and HAES660 macadamia cultivars. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Alam, M., Neal, J., O’Connor, K., Nock C., Langdon, K. and Topp, B. (2017) Morphological and molecular characterization of self-pollinated vs naturally out-crossed progeny of macadamia: a case study of ‘HAES 741’. International Tropical Agriculture Conference, Brisbane, November 20-22nd
- Nock, C.J. (2017) Conserving the wild relatives of macadamia. Rainforests of Subtropical Australia Conference, Robina Qld, March 23-24.
- Langdon, K., Baten, A., Topp B., Hardner, C., King, G.J. and Nock, C.J., (2017) Unravelling the genetics of macadamia: integration of linkage and genome maps. Annual Conference of the Genetic Society of Australasia Conference, Dunedin, New Zealand July 2-6th.
- Rost, J. Muralidharan, S. Campbell, D., Merhr, S., Nock, C.J. and Lee A.L. (2016) Discovery of 7S and 11S globulins as putative allergens in macadamia nut by combining allergenomics and serum IgE binding. ASCIA 2016 27th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Gold Coast September 14-16th.
- Nock, C.J. Baten A., Barkla B.J., Furtado A., Henry R.J. and King G.J. (2016) Cracking the nut: genome and transcriptome sequencing of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution Conference 2016, Gold Coast July 4-7th.