Dr Lei (Ben) Liu
t: +61 2 6622 3211 (73293 internal)
f: +61 2 6622 3459
m: +61 0401581714
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=JpabPUQAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lei_Liu24
B. Engineering (Beijing University of Technology)
Grad Cert for Research Management (Southern Cross University)
PhD in Phytochemistry (Southern Cross University)
Lei Liu has completed his PhD 'Phytochemical and Pharmacological Perspectives of Wheat Grain and Lupin Seed' in 2010. He has wide interest in biological active phytochemicals, related to cereal chemistry, lupin, sugar cane, cotton, cocoa, grape fruit, seaweed, Australian native plants, Chinese traditional medicine and natural pesticides. He has proven expertise in the isolation and identification of bioactive secondary metabolites using bioactivity-guided fractionation.
He has carried out a serial projects funded by Cooperative Research Centres (CRC), including GrainFoods, Sugarcane and Cotton CRCs and Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR). He has devoted himself to study health promoting functional food and nutraceuticals, and environmentally sustainable agriculture. Current research is focused on "High Value Bio-extractives and Bioethanol from Cotton Gin Trash" funded by Australia Cotton Research and Development Corporation.
- $12,000. NSW Trade & Investment's TechVouchers "Extraction & Stability of anthocyanins in purple corn" 2017 (Dr L. Liu).
- $6,500, Southern Cross University, 2017 Research Seed Grants (Dr L. Liu).
- $100,000, Entrepreneurs' programme-Innovation Connections Funding, Development of novel methods to extend the lifespan of Ecofibre’s seed, 2017 (Prof G. King, Dr L. Liu).
- $8,000, State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of P.R. China, 2016 Introduce Intelligence Project:"Developing new LC-MS/MS method for the analysis of protein and lipid composition in rice" at Academy of State Administration of Grain, P.R. China. Dr Lei Liu
- $6,000, Southern Cross University, 2016 Research Seed Grants, "Understanding variation of different lipids in rice endosperm", Dr Lei Liu
- $3,000, Southern Cross University, 2015 Research Seed Grants, "Unravelling biochemical basis of low Gylcemic Index (GI) rice", Dr Lei Liu
- $428,783, Cotton Research and Development Corporation "High Value Bio-extractives and Bioethanol from Cotton Gin Trash" 2014-2017 (Dr S. Mclntosh, Dr. T. Vancov, Dr L. Liu, Dr I. O'Hara)
- $18,000. NSW Trade & Investment's TechVouchers "Medicinal mushroom mycelia grown on food substrades: Examination of phytochemical and nutritional quality" 2014 (Dr L. Liu, Prof. G. King)
- $476,204. Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Carbon Farming Initiative Action on the Ground program Round 2 "Reducing N2O emissions in subtropical plantation crops using inter-row legumes" 2013-2016 (Dr T. Rose, Dr L. Liu, Dr C. Raymond)
- $397,000. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation "Defining the link between rice grain protein profiles and rice grain quality" 2013-2016 (Dr D. Waters, Prof. G. King, Dr C. Raymond, Dr T. Rose, Dr L. Liu, Dr R. Ward)
- $44,940 Department of Industry's Australia-China Science and Research Fund "Develop a strategic collaboration between Zhejiang University and Huazhong Agricultural University in major food crop seed grain composition and nutritional quality" 2013-2014 (Prof. G. King, Dr L. Liu, Dr D. Waters, Dr T. Rose)
- National Synchrotron Radiation Research Centre (Taiwan). "X-ray absorption spectroscopy to determine phosphorus speciation and potential bioavailability in biochar made from rice straw, poultry manure and wheat straw" 2013 (Dr L. Liu, Dr T. Rose, Prof. A. Rose)
- Invited and sponsored mentor, Facebook Open Academy, "Development of open-source software for HPLC fingerprinting of rice protein" (in collaboration with OpenChrom), University of California, San Diego, 2015
- Invited and sponsored speaker, AACC International 2011 Annual Meeting, 'The inhibition of alpha-glucosidase by specific lipid components in wheat bran and germ', Palm Springs, California, U.S.A., 2011.3
- Invited guest lecture, Southern Cross University, School Health and Human Science, Food Ecology unit 'Genetically Modified Foods', Lismore, Australia, 2013, 2014
- Invited and sponsored speaker, International Seminar and Workshop on Chemistry and Educational Chemistry 'Genetic ', Pattimura University Ambon, Maluku, Indonesia, 2013.5
Refereed Journal Articles
- Jeanette L Balindong, Rachelle M Ward, Lei Liu, Terry J Rose, Laura A Pallas, Ben W Ovenden, Peter J Snell, and Daniel L.E. Waters (2018) Rice grain protein composition influences instrumental measures of rice cooking and eating quality, Journal of Cereal Science, 79, 35-42,
- Jeanette L. Balindong, Rachelle M. Ward, Terry J. Rose, Lei Liu, Carolyn A. Raymond, Peter J. Snell, Ben W. Ovenden, Daniel L.E. Waters (2018) Rice grain protein composition influences head rice yield, Cereal Chemistry, 2018, 1-11, DOI: 10.1002/cche.10031
- Rahman, M., Khatun, A., Liu, L., Barkla, B. (2018) Brassicaceae Mustards: Traditional and Agronomic Uses in Australia and New Zealand. Molecules 23 (1) 231; doi:10.3390/molecules23010231(Impact factor 2.861).
- Kwanho Jeong, Cecile C Julia1, Daniel L.E Waters, Omar Pantoja, Matthias Wissuwa, Sigrid Heuer, Lei Liu and Terry J Rose (2017) Remobilisation of phosphorus fractions in rice flag leaves during grain filling: implications for photosynthesis and grain yields, PLOS ONE,
- Andrew Croaker, Graham J. King, John Pyne, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie, *Lei Liu (2017) A Review of Black Salve: Cancer Specificity, Cure and Cosmesis, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, in press.
- Mary Egbuta, Shane McIntosh, Daniel Waters, Tony Vancov, *Lei Liu (2017) Biological importance of cotton by-products relative to chemical constituents of the cotton plant, Molecules, in press.
- Qianwen Zhang, Guangda Ding, Xiaohua Wang, Lei Liu, Graham J King, Fangsen Xu, *Lei Shi(2016) Research Progress on Plant Seed Phyate, Plant Science Journal, 34(5):814-820.
- Chuan Tong, Lei Liu, Daniel L.E. Waters, Jin-song Bao, (2016) Association mapping and development of synthesis-related gene markers of starch lysophospholipids in rice (Oryza sativa L.), Rice Science, in press.
- Terry Rose, Tobias Kretzschmar, Lei Liu, Graham Lancaster, Matthias Wissuwa, (2016) Phosphorus deficiency alters nutrient accumulation patterns and grain nutritional quality in rice, Agronomy, in press.
- Jeanette Balindong; *Lei Liu; Rachelle Ward; Bronwyn Barkla; *Daniel Waters, (2016) Optimisation and standardisation of extraction and HPLC analysis of rice grain protein, Journal of Cereal Science, in press.
- Cyntia Ayumi Yokota Harayashiki, *Amanda J. Reichelt-Brushett, Lei Liu,Paul Butcher (2016) Behavioural and biochemical alterations in Penaeus monodon postlarvaediet-exposed to inorganic mercury, Chemosphere 164 (2016) 241-247
- Andrew Croaker, Graham J King, John H. Pyne, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie and *Lei Liu,(2016) Sanguinaria canadensis: Traditional Medicine, Phytochemical Composition, Biological Activities and Current Uses, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2016, 17(9), 1414
- Matthew T. Welling, Timothy Shapter, Terry J. Rose, Lei Liu, Rhia Stanger and Graham J. King (2016) A Belated Green Revolution for Cannabis: Virtual Genetic Resources to Fast-track Cultivar Development, Frontiers in Plant Science, 7:1113. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.01113
- Lingxu Ye, Sumei Zhou, Liya Liu, Lei Liu, Daniel L. E. Waters, Kui Zhong, Xianrong Zhou, Xiaojun Ma, Xingxun, Liu, (2016) Phenolic Compounds and Antioxidant Capacity of Brown Rice in China, International Journal of Food Engineering, 12 (6), 537-546
- Matthew T Welling, *Lei Liu, Terry J Rose, Daniel LE Waters, Kirsten Benkendorff, (2016) Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: effects on plant terpenoid accumulation, Plant Biology, 18, (4) 552-562. (Impact Factor 2014:2.633)
- Liu L., Sun, H., Zhang W., Waters D. L. E., King G. J., A lipidomic approach to predict age of stored rice, 67th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2017.
- Liu L. Rose T. J., Waters D. LE, Welling M. T., Julia C, King G. J., Presentation: Lysophospholipids in developing rice grain, 66th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Tamworth, NSW, Australia 2016.
- Liu L., Guo Q., He Z., Xia X., Waters D. LE, Rose R. J., King G. J., Oral Presentation: Genotypic variation in wheat flour lysophospholipids and contribution to kernel hardness, 65th Australian Cereal Chemistry Conference, Sydney (Coogee), NSW, Australia 2015.