Do Export Controls Affect Me?

Do you intend to take materials or plans overseas or share them with people or entities who are overseas?

Australia's export control system places restrictions on the export of a range a defence and strategic goods and technology, including dual use items in applied research not already in the public domain.

Export controls are a concern for every individual associated with Southern Cross University who works with certain goods and technologies designed or adapted for military use. Including equipment and technologies developed for commercial needs but which may be used for military purposes ('dual-use') listed in Parts 1 and 2 respectively of the Defence and Strategic Goods List (DSGL).

While your research or teaching work may not be specifically related to weapons or defence, it may be used for military purposes ('dual-use') listed in Parts 1 and 2 respectively of the Defence and Strategic Goods List (DSGL). Export of these items from Australia either tangibly or intangibly will require a permit.

Important Points:

  1. The Defence Trade Controls Act is not designed to stop or restrict the transfer of information or research, it introduces the requirement to seek permission from the Defence Export Control (DEC) before the intangible supply of controlled goods and technology takes place. Items on the part 1 and 2 of the DSL are not prohibited from being exported; rather they need a permit before they can be exported.
  2. Southern Cross University staff will need to understand the control status of items and technology relating to the DSGL and be fully aware of their obligations under the Defence Trade Controls Act (2012).
  3. Southern Cross University has a client registration number and the designated representative is Dr Jo Edney, Exectutive Officer.

For example, you could be:

  • an artist who uses a material that can also be used in making ballistics
  • improving our understanding of bacterial pathogenesis through a whole genome sequencing project
  • developing technology to reduce communications interference for a company that produces commercially operated drones

All of these examples could involve the use, development or production of controlled technology.

A permit is required when exporting, supplying, brokering or publishing controlled technology (DSGL items), unless there is an exemption.