Supply, Publication and Brokering

What is Supply?

Supply occurs when a person located outside Australia with access to DSGL Technology by electronic means (eg by email, fax, video conferencing or by the provision of access to the research by providing passwords to access electronic files)

If the supply of DSGL technology is from Australia to a place outside of Australia, the supply is controlled and will require a permit unless exceptions apply.


You do not require a permit if the supply is:

  1. pre-publication activity, such as submitting an article to an overseas journal; or
  2. supply made orally in some circumstances; or
  3. made by, or made to, members of the following groups in the course of their official duties:
    • Australian Defence Force,
    • Australian Public Service employee,
    • Australian Federal Police,
    • State or Territory police,
    • Australian Security Intelligence Organisation employee, or
    • Australian Secret Intelligence Service employee

For more information on supply see Supply FAQs.

What is Publication?

Publication is when Controlled (DSGL) Technology is in the Public Domain (eg via a conference or website) with no access controls (even if it can only be accessed by a payment). If access to controlled Technology is restricted to particular users or groups, it has not been placed in the Public Domain and it will be a Supply.

Publication controls apply to anyone in Australia, or an Australian citizen or resident or Australian organisation located anywhere in the world.

The publication of:

  1. Part 1 (Munitions List) DSGL technology is regulated and requires approval from the DEC before publication can occur.
  2. Part 2 (Dual-Use List) DSGL technology is not regulated, no approval is required from DECO.

For more information on publishing see Publication FAQs.

What is Brokering?

When a person or organisation acts as an agent or intermediary in arranging the supply of DSGL Goods and Technology between two places located outside Australia and receives money or a non-cash benefit, or advances their political, religious or ideological cause. Brokering controls apply to anyone located in Australia, or an Australian citizen or resident located outside Australia.

For more information on brokering see Brokering FAQs.