Research Grant Income Categories
The following summary provides a brief explanation of research grant income categories. For a more detailed description of the categories, the Current HERDC Specifications is available for download.
Category 1: Australian Competitive Grants
Category 1 income is Australian competitive grant R&D incomes, which meets the conditions of a self-assessment system
Partner organisation cash contributions to Category 1 schemes are reported under the Category relevant to that particular partner (and not as Category 1).
Category 2: Other Public Sector Research Income
Category 2 comprises funding from the Australian public sector, including:
- Australian Government schemes and business enterprises that don't meet the Category 1 assessment
- State and local governments and partly government-owned or funded bodies
- Research income from CRCs in which the University was not a participant or signatory
Category 3: Industry and Other Research Income
Category 3 comprises funding from the private sector, philanthropic and international sources, including:
- Research grants or contract research with Australian or international industry or non-Australian Government agencies
- Funding through donations, bequests and foundations (both Australian and international)
Category 4: Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) Research Income
Category 4 consists of research income received from a CRC in which they were a participant (i.e. a signatory to the CRC's Commonwealth Agreement or Participant's Agreement.)