Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship
Complete the online application via UAC.
- Session 1, 2021 applications close 30 January, 2021.
To be advised.
$5,611 p/a for up to four years (2021 value, indexed annually). Scholarships commencing after Session 1 will receive only half scholarships in that year.
See Information for recipients for details about general conditions and payments.
Course of study
- Any undergraduate degree, studying on-campus
- Studying full-time (part-time may be considered)
- Must be enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place
Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander status
For the purposes of the assessment of Indigenous commonwealth scholarship, a person will be considered to be an Indigenous person where:
- Is of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and
- Identifies as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and
- Is accepted as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander in the community in which he/she lives or has lived.
Applicants must be an Australian Citizen
In general, you need to have resided in a remote or regional area for three of the last four years; or completed final two years of schooling in a high school or college in a regional or remote area prior to commencing your current course. It was also necessary to move to undertake your current course and as a consequence you incurred additional accommodation cost.
Low socio-economic status
Applicants must meet the criteria for low socio-economic status by demonstrating one of the following:
- Receiving or expecting to receive a Centrelink means-tested income support payment (such as ABSTUDY, Disability Support Pension, Parenting Payment Single, Carer Payment etc.)
- Provide evidence of exception financial hardship
- Dependent students aged between 16-20 years whose parent/guardian is in receipt of Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A.
You are not eligible for consideration if you:
- Already hold a bachelor's degree or higher level award, unless the award you hold is a prerequisite to the course you are enrolled in (or will be enrolled in).
- You must not receive a Relocation Scholarship from Centrelink at the same time as being paid an Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship
- You must not receive Residential Costs Option (RCO) under the ABSTUDY scheme from Centrelink