Applying for Honours
Are you passionate about further study in the arts and humanities, contemporary music, digital media, social sciences, community welfare or visual arts? If you’ve completed an undergraduate course — either at Southern Cross or another university, with a credit average or better, our Honours programs may be the next step for you.
Honours is a research training degree and is the preferred pathway to PhD studies.
Our Honours graduates find jobs in a wide variety of areas depending on the area of research interest. As well, government and semi-government organisations have opportunities for graduates with demonstrable research skills.
Follow these steps to apply:
1. Consult with Honours course coordinator Dr Erika Kerruish.
2. Decide what area of interest you would like to study. There are two Honours degrees to choose from:
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours for research in writing, cultural studies, history, contemporary music, digital media, and art and design
- Bachelor of Social Science with Honours for research in social science or community welfare
3. Find a supervisor and discuss potential Honours projects. There are two types of projects:
- A project or area of study you already have in mind. Find an appropriate supervisor in Appendix 1 (page 23) of the 2020 SASS Honours Handbook.
- A project suggested by an academic staff member. View a list of potential projects in Appendix 2 (page 37) of the 2020 SASS Honours Handbook.
4. Once you’ve completed Steps 1 to 3, then apply for entry to an Honours degree online. The deadline is 30 November each year. Applications after this date may be considered if sufficient places are still available. When applying, you’ll need the following completed documents:
- Student/Supervisor Agreement
- Download the Student/Supervisor Agreement form Word Document
- Download the Student/Supervisor Agreement form PDF
- A brief proposal (one or two pages) outlining your intended project. Read the Preparing a research proposal guidelines for advice on how to do this.
5. Two Honours scholarships are on offer for the School of Arts and Social Sciences. Go to Honours scholarships on the Scholarships website for more information. Applications for Honours scholarship are due by 9 March.