Honours information

Our one-year Bachelor of Education (Honours) is available for any graduate who has completed an education degree at Southern Cross University or at another university.

The Honours program is an intense and exciting research program. It enables students to:

  • extend the depth of their education degree
  • enhance their career pathways
  • develop a basis for gaining entry into the PhD program.

The best education students will be admitted to the Honours program. Upon successful completion, they will have an excellent chance of being admitted to a PhD program offered by the School of Education. Some Honours graduates may also be able to obtain scholarships for their PhD studies. For details about the School's research portfolio see the education and teaching research page.

Honours students in the School of Education will be regarded as budding researchers where they will contribute significantly to the research culture in the School. Honours students will be aligned to the School of Education research concentrations. These are the Sustainability, Environment and the Arts in Education (SEAE) Research Cluster and the TeachLab Research Group. Through completion of the Honours degree, students will:

  • Acquire an understanding of various research methods in the field of education
  • Demonstrate content mastery in relation to a substantive issue or problem domain within the field of education
  • Demonstrate a capacity to design, frame, conduct and report a small-scale inquiry in the field of education.

Course structure of the Honours program

The standalone Honours program is a one-year add-on to your existing undergraduate education degree. It requires the completion of the following Honours units. To receive the award of Honours, a candidate must successfully complete the units of study below, including the thesis units, which require the following development of an Honours thesis of 18,000 words.

  • Research Methods in Education
  • Critical Literature Review 1
  • Education Honours Thesis (stage 1 of 3)
  • Education Honours Thesis (stage 2 of 3)
  • Education Honours Thesis (stage 3 of 3)

A supervisor from SEAE or TeachLab will work with students in conceptualising and developing the Honours thesis in both courses as well as providing advice and guidance in other issues related to the Honours program. Students should maintain regular contact with their supervisor to ensure that work on the thesis component is completed at a consistent pace throughout the program.

School of Education Honours Handbook 2020

Honours scholarship

There are two new scholarships being offered by the School of Education for Honours students. These scholarships will be offered annually and are to the value of $1,000 each.

Students who intend to enrol in Honours may apply for the scholarship by the closing date, as outlined in the documents below.

Applicants must complete the application online through My Enrolment and have the required documentation attached to their application. In order to be eligible for the scholarship, the student cannot currently be the recipient of another honours scholarship.

Honours Scholarship guidelines for students

Frequently asked questions

Q: How do I choose a supervisor? 
A: In selecting a supervisor you should consider relevance to the topic that you wish to research as well as choosing a supervisor with whom you will be able to develop a productive working relationship. The School of Education student research supervisors page provides information generally about areas of research strength as well as information about individual lecturers and their area of specialisation. We encourage you to browse these pages and to talk with potential supervisors about their availability.

Your supervisor must be a permanent member of academic staff. Please check with the Honours Coordinator before selecting a supervisor that the person is a permanent staff member.

Q: How do I know what topic to choose for a thesis? 

A: You are not expected to enter your Honours study with a fully conceptualised question for research! However, you should have some idea of the area of focus you wish to investigate through your research. Identifying a topic and a particular research question is a process that evolves after you begin your studies. One way to help you think about possibilities is to look at the SEAE Research Cluster or TeachLab Research Group of the School of Education.

Q: Where should I go for advice during my Honours candidature?
A: Initially you would discuss matters with your supervisor directly. If your supervisor cannot help you, seek advice from the Honours Coordinator - contact information below.
Q: Can I make changes to my Honours units?
A: No. All students are required to complete the critical literature review unit (12 points), the research methodology unit (12 points) and three Education Honours Thesis units (each 24 credit point value each). The dates for discontinuing a unit in Honours are the same as for all undergraduate students. Refer to your student diary or check with the Academic Coordinator (Postgraduate). These dates are most important. If you fail to make your changes on time normal penalties apply. The census dates are important as no fees refund is possible after these dates pass.
Q: Can I discontinue Honours?
A: Students may discontinue Honours. Students wishing to discontinue their thesis should discuss the matter with their supervisor and/or Honours coordinator.
Q: What happens if I fail a coursework unit?
A: If you fail a coursework unit, you will be required to repeat the unit or a suitable substitute.
Q: What happens if I fail the thesis component?
A: If you fail the thesis component you will be deemed to have failed the entire program and will be ineligible to be awarded an Honours degree.
Q: How do I apply for a thesis extension?
A: Extensions can only be granted by the Honours Coordinator. You must apply at least two weeks prior to the submission date (via the Special Consideration process). It is important to note that extensions are only granted under exceptional circumstances. Even with exceptional circumstances, only a short amount of time can usually be granted. The submission date of the thesis cannot be extended for those students planning to apply to undertake a PhD (and be considered for a scholarship) in mid/end year scholarship rounds.
Q: How do I Apply to do Honours in the School of Education
A: Go to the Bachelor of Education (Honours) (Course Code: 3507292)

More information

Dr. Marianne Logan
Honours Coordinator, Associate Director of Higher Degree Research (PhD and Masters by Thesis)
T: +61 5589 3122
E: marianne.logan@scu.edu.au

Client Services (Postgraduate Education)
T: +61 2 6659 3777
E: chsharedservices@scu.edu.au