Professional experience requirements
Being a teacher means there are particular professional requirements that need to be met. Before student teachers can proceed to their placement, the coursework needs to be passed and the legal and ethical requirements for professional experience need to be completed. By reading and engaging with the following information student teachers will understand the procedures that need to be followed.
The pathway to professional experience
There are procedures that need to be followed as part of professional experience. The Professional Experience Handbook provides vital information and should be read by all teacher education students prior to undertaking a professional experience placement.
The following Pathway to Professional Experience has been designed to assist students to successfully navigate the process of applying and being ready for a school/centre placement.
- Students will need to obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) (students at all campuses), Blue Card (Northern NSW and all Gold Coast students) or a Working with Children Check for the relevant state or territory (online students). Blue Card applications should be submitted to the Professional Experience Office located in B3.32D on Gold Coast campus.
- Students are required to complete and pass the LANTITE (literacy and numeracy test) prior to enrolling in their first professional experience unit. Please note, this does not apply to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Education (Early Childhood).
- Confirm professional experience dates., see the Professional Experience Calendar.
- Organise work and family commitments around these professional experience dates.
- Read the Professional Experience Requirements.
- Enrol in the relevant Professional Experience unit.
- Complete the online Anaphylaxis Training and keep a scanned copy of the certificate.
- Complete the online Child Protection Awareness Training and keep a scanned copy of the certificate.
- Complete the relevant placement forms located on the Professional Experience Student Centre at MySCU and SONIA online.
- Upload all of the forms and certificates noted above to SONIA online by the required date.
- Successfully complete the theoretical component of the professional experience unit.
- Obtain the placement details two weeks prior to commencement.
- Study information online about your assigned school or centre.
- Commence your professional experience during the required dates, see the Professional Experience Calendar. Engage with the school community and work with your mentor to gain vital teaching experience.
- Successfully complete the professional experience placement, meeting the requirements of the final professional experience report. Copy the final report and upload it to the relevant Blackboard site.
Frequently asked questions
Teacher education students often have questions about professional experience. These Frequently asked questions - professional experience have been designed to help students to make informed decisions about their placements. Further queries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org