Professional experience

Information provided by the Professional Experience Unit (PEU), School of Health and Human Sciences.

As a condition of any type of Professional Experience including placement, volunteering, laboratory work, research, or community engaged learning, you are required to provide evidence of your compliance and health protection before participating in any of these activities.

How does student compliance work?

  • Student compliance is a mandatory, legislative and regulatory requirement.
  • You must be compliant to attend placement.  
  • You must meet the SCU and external body requirements, for the safety of yourself and others.
  • View the list of  Pre-Placement Compliance Requirements.

Hi, I'm Clint Willoughby, the manager of the Professional Experience unit at Southern Cross University in the School of Health and Human Sciences.

With any degree with the School of Health and Human Sciences you will be carrying out professional placement.

Before you go on any health placement you need to meet certain requirements.

Those requirements can be found the professional experience website, and one of those is vaccination requirements, which can take up to four months.

So, please start as soon as possible.

The Professional Experience Unit can help you establish those requirements and meet all the compliance requirements along the way to have a successful career in that chosen path.

The Professional Experience Unit will communicate via a number of different platforms; via SMS, email and SONIA.

SONIA is the compliance database for the School of Health and Human Sciences where you will see all your compliance requirements, where you can provide documentation.

Also, this is where we will provide you with your placement allocations.

So, this will be a very handy database for you to refer to throughout the duration of your degree and continue to engage with that process and always communicate with the Professional Experience unit if you need help.

Please remember to be professional, well organised and prepared for your placement.

Again, welcome to the School of Health and Human Sciences and the Professional Experience Unit.


Travel and Costs

  • Professional Experience activities within a student’s local area may not be available and extended travel to/from a student’s area may be required.
  • Students are responsible for any accommodation and travel costs associated with Professional Experience activities.
  • Scholarships and grants 
  • Unistays - SCU off-campus accommodation 
  • Some compliance requirements may incur a fee, eg National Police Certificate (NPC).
  • SCU Student Loans 

Policies and Guidelines

Contact us

Please contact the Professional Experience Unit (PEU) in the School of Health and Human Sciences for more information:

  07 5589 3439

Privacy Collection Notice
Southern Cross University requires this information to arrange and facilitate your student placement or other professional experience activity, and for related statistical and reporting purposes. This may include disclosing personal or health information that is reasonably required to relevant third parties including placement providers, regulatory bodies or government departments. You may not be able to participate in placement/professional experience activities if you do not provide the information requested.

We will treat your information confidentially and will not disclose it, other than in accordance with this notice, without your consent unless we are permitted or required to do so by law.

The University uses ‘Sonia’ student placement software to managing student placements and other professional experience opportunities. Information on how ‘Sonia’ handles personal information can be found here.

For more information on how the information will be used and disclosed, or to access and update your personal information, please contact your placement supervisor or Professional Experience Unit. For information on how the University collects, stores, uses and discloses personal information see the University’s Privacy Management Plan or contact the Privacy Officer at