Pre-Placement Compliance Requirements
All School of Health and Human Sciences students must meet the pre-placement compliance requirements, listed below, before being approved for any placement.
Start Immediately: Enrolment for professional experience units will require students to fulfil vaccination and compliance requirements*.
|Vaccinations||Specific to each vaccination||Yes||4+ months||Scan (pdf) and email to healthOSV@scu.edu.au|
|Professional Experience Obligations & Disclosure Consent (PEODC) eform||For the duration of your degree||No||1 hour||Electronically via SONIA|
|QLD Blue Card||3 years||No||8+ weeks||Apply in person at the PEU|
|First Aid Course including CPR||
3 years First Aid1 year CPR
|Yes||Depends of the course availability. Only the official certificate/card of completion is accepted as evidence.||Scan and upload certificates to SONIA|
|5 years||Yes||30 days||Scan and upload to SONIA|
|No expiry||No||1 hour||Scan and upload to SONIA|
*Enrolment into placement and lab units may require PEU approval.
**International students may have additional requirements and will need to submit both an International Police Certificate and National Police Certificate.
Valid: Specific to each vaccination
Submission to PEU: emailed to healthOSV@scu.edu.au
Important: Submit NSW Health Attachments 6 and 7 with vaccination records
Students of the School of Health & Human Sciences are required to be vaccinated,* prior to participating in activities which may expose them to becoming infected with or transmitting infectious diseases.
Activities that are high risk include, but are not limited to:
- any type of Professional Experience learning including placement, volunteering, or community engaged learning;
- laboratory work that involves handling non-cadaveric human tissue or waste, or other human specimens; and
- participation in a project, research or other work that requires the student to attend a health facility, clinic, school or service have direct contact with the
It is mandatory to complete the required vaccinations, in your first year of study as per State policy, ensuring you have immunity against specified infectious diseases:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (Whooping Cough).
- Hepatitis B
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Varicella (Chicken pox).
Students must download the Vaccination Requirements - Evidence Checklist.This document outlines the vaccination requirements in further detail and outlines the appropriate evidence/documentation required.
There are a numbers of ways students can obtain vaccination records which include:
- School records - contact the local area health district in the area you went to school
- Brisbane City Council
- Gold Coast Public Health Unit
- NSW Health Northern and Mid North Coast - Request for Student Vaccination Records NSW Health and for information.
- NSW Health (other than Northern and Mid North Coast) - Student Vaccination Records NSW Health
- List of vaccinations from GP or immunisations provider
- Baby book records
- Australian Immunisation Register- 1800 653 809
- ALL Bachelor of Midwifery students;
- Other students attending high risk areas eg: paediatrics, maternity. Please refer to item 5 of the Vaccination Requirements - Evidence Checklist.
The Northern NSW Local Health District Vaccination Assessor has informed the University that all students assessed and verified for NSW Health placements should obtain the Influenza Vaccination yearly in April. Please be aware that, if you are unable to produce evidence of flu vaccination, you may be asked to leave placement until the documentation is presented. This may impact on the placement hours for your course.
- Obtain vaccinations records. Refer to the Vaccination Requirements - Evidence Checklist.
- Submit the Professional Experience Obligations and Disclosure Consent (PEODC) eform via SONIA forms tab.
- Email scanned vaccination documents (PDF only) evidence to healthOSV@scu.edu.au
EMAIL SUBJECT LINE: Student Name, Student ID, Course, Placement commence date as ddmmyyyy
- Student ID
- SCU email address
- Discipline of Study
* subject to health or religious exemptions
Valid: for duration of degree
Submission to PEU: electronic form completed and submitted within SONIA
- This agreement describes your responsibilities and obligations to the University and its agencies during the placements, as well as other important information about the professional
- Please note that it is your responsibility to notify the PEU immediately if you become aware of anything that might adversely affect your professional experience obligations or your fitness to practice
- Complete the Professional Experience Obligations & Disclosure Consent (PEODC) eForm in the Forms tab in SONIA.
- Instructions can be found on SONIA.
- By signing this agreement, you agree to comply with the terms of submitting required documentation in accordance with due dates.
Valid: 3 years
Submission to PEU: in person at your campus PEU office
Important: Apply in person at PEU
Applying for a QLD Blue Card
- From SONIA, download and complete the QLD Blue Card Application specific to your campus.
- Submit your application in person to the Professional Experience Unit at your nearest campus for ID verification and processing. Do not apply online.
- Note: Copies of ID are not accepted. Original identification documents must be sighted.
- Processing can take up to eight (8) weeks.
- For international students: If you do not have an Australian postal address for Blue Card, you may use the following: Southern Cross University, PEU, Locked Bag 4, Coolangatta. QLD. 4225
PEU office locations:
Lismore: Z Block
Gold Coast: Level 2, Building B Room 2.15
Coffs Harbour: M1.1
- If you already hold a valid QLD Blue Card, obtained outside of the University, you must download, complete and submit the QLD Blue Card Link Form (‘Link an applicant/cardholder to this organisation’) found on SONIA.
- Processing can take up to eight (8) weeks.
- You are not required to upload this document to SONIA. The PEU is notified directly by Blue Card Services when your card is processed or linked to the University.
- If you reside more than 50 kilometres away from a SCU campus and are unable to submit your application in person, please complete part D of the Blue Card Application and a complete a Confirmation of Identity. The Blue Card Application and Confirmation of Identity must be dated the same day. If you are unable to attend in person on campus and need use the Confirmation of Identity form, please scan all Blue Card forms in PDF format only.
Valid: 3 years (First Aid), 1 year (CPR)
Submission to PEU: upload to SONIA Checks tab
Certification is only accepted from selected professional bodies or Nationally Recognised Training organisations with the following course registration codes (online courses are not accepted):
- HLTAID003 (First Aid with CPR);
- HLTAID001 (CPR only);
- HLTAID004 (First Aid with CPR);
- HLTAID006 (First Aid with CPR);
- HLTAID007 (CPR only);
- Accepted professional certificates:
- Paramedic Certificate;
- Certificate to Practice (ambulance);
- NSW Health first aid/CPR qualification;
- QLD Health first aid/CPR qualification;
- Aged Care Facility first aid/CPR qualification.
- Only the official Certificate/Card of Completion is accepted as evidence.
- If you reside overseas, you will not be able to complete this course until you arrive in Australia.
- Links to some accredited first aid and CPR courses for each campus can be found here:
Valid: 5 years NPC only
Submission to PEU: upload to SONIA Checks tab
Students are required to obtain a National Police Certificate (NPC) at their own expense prior to commencing placement, which must be maintained for the duration of enrolment. Students may need to provide additional NPCs throughout the course of their study depending on the requirements of specific placement sites.
International students must also obtain a police certificate from any country they have resided in (as a permanent resident or citizen) since turning 16 years of age The police certificate must be translated into English.
Applying for a National Police Certificate
- Students may apply online through an accredited organisation.
- A list of accredited providers is available on the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) website.
Student feedback to the PEU has indicated that CV Check have a streamlined process with most results returned in less than one day.
- The NPC must:
- state that it is a National or Australian-wide check
- include the student’s full name and date of birth
- contain the same name as on the student’s ID card
- At the date of placement, some placement sites require the NPC not to be older than six months from the date of issue and state that you are ‘working with vulnerable groups’
- Students with a charge or conviction listed on their police check are required to have a risk assessment performed by the Employment Screening and Review Unit (ESRU), HealthShare NSW.
- Students in this position will need to complete the Student Application for a Risk Assessment form and must notify the PEU of their need to make this application.
- Students must immediately notify the PEU if their criminal record changes at any time during their course.
The original email/certificate must be retained by the student for verification by placement sites if required.
- Download, print, read and sign (typed signatures are not accepted) the NSW Health Code of Conduct form.
- Then upload to SONIA.
- The original signed document must be retained for verification by NSW Health.
SONIA is the SCU School of Health and Human Sciences placement and compliance database. Your SONIA account will be activated by SCU upon an offered place in a course.
What is SONIA used for?
- Important Vaccination and Compliance Requirement documentation is available from SONIA.
- Compliance Requirements need to be uploaded to SONIA.
- Vaccination and Compliance Requirement status can be checked in SONIA via the CHECKS tab.
- Placement allocation and facility information is available in SONIA.
- Placement assessment documentation is available from SONIA.
How to access SONIA?
- Logon information for Sonia If you have logon difficulties please contact SCU Technical Services.
- Login to SONIA
- Download the SONIA for Student app via
- Log into SONIA and click on the CHECKS tab.
- Add/upload each document to the corresponding check in SONIA by selecting Browse.
- Please make sure you SAVE.