Professor Andrew Rose
t:+61 2 6620 3189
- BE (Environmental) (Hons 1) UNSW 2001
- BSc (Mathematics) UNSW 2002
- PhD (Environmental Engineering) UNSW 2005 'Iron Acquisition by the Marine Cyanobacterium Lyngbya majuscula' (supervisor: T. D. Waite)
With a background in aquatic chemistry, my research is broadly concerned with understanding the interface between aquatic microorganisms and their biogeochemical environment from a mechanistic, chemical perspective. I am specifically interested:
- Iron biogeochemistry in aquatic systems
- Mechanisms of calcium carbonate precipitation and dissolution reactions in aquatic systems
- Chemistry of reactive oxygen species and free radicals in aquatic systems
- Impacts of human activities on the biogeochemistry of environmental systems
- Numerical modelling of biogeochemical phenomena.
- Lamb, D; … Rose, AL. (2019-2021). New cost-effective pathways to recover and evaluate high-grade phosphorus fertilizer from waste streams. CRC SOIL ($1,070,000).
- Erler, DV; Rose, TJ; Rose, AL (2018-2019). Energy and nutrient recapture from solid wastes. CRC-CARE ($680,000).
- Rose, TJ; Rose, AL (2016). Effect of redox state on phosphorus release from common soil minerals. SCU Seed Grant scheme ($9,727).
- Yee, LH; Rose, AL; Cummings, B; Anstoetz, M; Foley, J; Flower, L; Zetterlund, P (2016). Physical and chemical testing of commercial and recycled plastic feed for 3D printers bound for schools in NSW & QLD. SCU Seed Grant scheme ($9,280).
- Erler, D; Rose, AL; Joannes-Boyau, R (2015). Has climate change reduced nitrogen supply to the Western Pacific Ocean? SCU Seed Grant scheme ($14,590).
- Rose, AL; Burton, ED; Clark, M; Johnston, SG; Santos, IR (2014). An integrated facility for the advanced characterisation of environmental particles. Australian Research Council LE140100007 ($A330,000).
- Smith, I; et al. (2012 - 2015). Australian Synchrotron Access Program. Australian Research Council SR120200004 (A$30,000,000).
- Sullivan, LA; Rose, AL; Burton, ED; Johnston, SG; Wong, VNL; Bush, RT; Wood, M (Jul 2012 - Jul 2015). Resolving the geochemistry of coastal floodplain blackwaters. Australian Research Council LP120200723 (A$320,000).
- Jan 2012 - Dec 2014, Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP120103234 ($450,000) Waite, T. D., Rose, A. L., Collins, R. N. and Waychunas, G. "New perspectives on iron oxide transformations in oxic and anoxic aqueous environments: implications for iron bioavailability and contaminant mobility."
- Jan 2012 - Dec 2012, Australian Research Council Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Project LE120100201 ($A200,000). Bush, R. T., Burton, E. D., Scheffers, S. R., Scheffers, A. M., Rose, A. L. "High-resolution laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer for cutting edge geochemistry research."
- July 2011, Australian Synchrotron Beamtime AS112/SAXS/3618.Rose, A. L., Bligh, M., Boland, D., Collins, R., and Waite, T. D. "Atomic and particle scale characterisation of polymer formation during the early stages of iron oxyhydroxide mineral precipitation."
- Jan 2011-Dec 2013, Australian Research Council LP110100732 ($600,000) Bush, R. T., Grice, K., Moreau, J. W., Sullivan, L. A., Burton, E. D., Rose, A. L., Johnston, S. G., McElnea, A. E., and Ahern, C. R. "Electron flow in iron hyper-enriched acidifying coastal environments: reaction paths and kinetics of iron-sulfur-carbon transformations."
- Jan 2011 - Dec 2011, Australian Research Council Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities Project LE110100143 (A$500,000). Radom, L., Cairns, I. H., Crawford, J. W., Shen, L., Wade, C. M., Wilkins, M. R., Abbass, H. A., Dzurak, A. S., Evans, J. P., Wen, W., Poulton, C. G., Arnold, M. D., Botten, L. C., Ford, M. J., Rahmani, A., O'Neill, C. J., Cheung, K.-W. K., Johnson, M. E., Henskens, F. A., Borwein, J. M., Marchant, T. R., Hagenbuchner, M., Tieu, K. A., Rose, A. L., Gillies, S. A., Harrison, P. L., Waters, D. L., Leedham, G., and Murison, R. D. "Flexible architecture high-performance computing facility for the intersect consortium of New South Wales."
- Aug 2010, Australian Synchrotron Beamtime AS102/XAS/2484. Collins, R., Glover, C., Waite, T. D., Payne, T., Boland, D., and Rose, A. L. "Quick scanning XAFS to determine Fe-O-Fe bond formation during iron precipitation and iron oxide transformations."
- Dec 2009 - Dec 2010, University of New South Wales Faculty of Engineering Early Career Researcher Grant (A$31,708)Pham, A. N. and Rose, A. L. "Is Trichodesmium erythraeum capable of synthesising O2--producing specialised proteins?"
- Jan 2009 - Jan 2013, Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP0987351 (A$380,000) Rose AL & Rose JC "A new paradigm for the geochemistry of mineral precipitation and dissolution in aquatic systems: Polymer-based numerical modelling".
- Jan 2009 - Jan 2011, Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP0987188 (A$285,000).Waite TD & Rose AL "Resolving Critical Knowledge Gaps Relating to Light and Free-Radical Mediated Transformations of Iron and Copper in Oxic Natural Waters".
- Jan 2008 - Jan 2010, Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP0880298 (A$298,000). Waite T D, Hallegraeff GM & Rose AL "Impact of Metal - Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) Interactions on Growth and Toxicity of Ichthyotoxic Algae in Australian Coastal Waters". (Grant awarded, but withdrew as an Investigator).
- Dec 2005 - Dec 2006, University of New South Wales Faculty of Engineering Early Career Researcher Grant (A$19,600). Rose AL. "The Influence of Environmental Variables on Extracellular Superoxide Production by Marine Microorganisms".
- Jan 2005 - Jan 2008, Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP0558029 (A$185,000). Waite TD, Neilan BA, Burford M, Furnas M, & Rose AL 'Mechanisms of Iron Acquisition by the Cyanobacterium Trichodesmium in Coastal Waters'.
Awards and Honours
- Australian Research Council QEII Fellowship (Jan 2009 - Dec 2013).
- University of New South Wales Early Career Researcher Travel Scheme Award (Feb 2007 - May 2007).
- Australian Research Council Australian Postdoctoral Fellowship (APD) (Jan 2005 - Dec 2007).
- Australian Academy of Science Young Australian Researchers Travel Scholarship (May 2004).
- Australian Research Council Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) (Mar 2001 - Oct 2004).
- Rose, TJ; Schefe, C; Weng, Z; Rose, MT; Van Zwieten, L; Liu, L; Rose, AL (submitted). Phosphorus speciation and bioavailability in diverse biochars. Plant and Soil.
- Avaro, J; Rose, J; Moon, E; Rose, AL (submitted). Calcium coordination environment in calcium carbonate prenucleation clusters. Geochim Cosmochim Acta.
- Sedighi, M; Padilla, RV; Taylor, R; Lake, M; Izadgoshasb, I; Rose, AL (in press). High-temperature, point-focus, pressurised gas-phase solar receivers: A comprehensive review. Energy Conversion and Management.
- Farid, HT; Schulz, KG; Rose, AL (2018). Measuring total Fe concentrations in plankton cultures in the presence of synthetic and organic ligands using a modified ferrozine method. Mar Chem. 203: 22-27.
- Holloway, C; Santos, I; Rose, AL (2018). Porewater inputs drive Fe redox cycling in the water column of a mangrove estuary. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 207: 259-268.
- Leigh-Smith, J; Reichelt-Brushett, A; Rose, A (2018). The characterisation of iron (III) in seawater and related toxicity to early life stages of scleractinian corals. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 37: 1104-1114.
- Mos, B; Kaposi, KL; Rose, AL; Kelaher, B; Dworjanyn, SA (2017). Moderate ocean warming mitigates, but more extreme warming exacerbates the impacts of zinc from engineered nanoparticles on a marine larva. Environmental Pollution 228: 190-200.
- Hanington, P; Rose, AL; Johnstone, R (2016). The potential of benthic iron and phosphorus fluxes to support the growth of a bloom forming toxic cyanobacterium Lyngbya majuscula, Moreton Bay, Australia. Mar Freshwater Res 67: 1918-1927.
- Rose, AL (2016). The influence of reactive oxygen species on local redox conditions in oxygenated natural waters. Frontiers in Earth Science. 4: 96.
- Miller, CJ; Rose, AL; Waite, TD (2016). Importance of iron complexation for Fenton-mediated hydroxyl radical production at circumneutral pH. Frontiers in Marine Science. 3: 134.
- Holloway, C; Santos, I; Tait, D; Sanders, C; Rose, A; Schnetger, B; Brumsack, H-J; Macklin, P; Sippo, JZ; Maher, DT (2016). Manganese and iron release from mangrove porewaters: A significant component of oceanic budgets? Mar Chem 184: 43-52.
- Collins, RN; Rosso, KM; Rose, AL; Glover, CJ; Waite, TD (2016). An in situ XAS study of ferric iron hydrolysis and precipitation in the presence of perchlorate, nitrate, chloride and sulfate. Geochim Cosmochim Acta 177: 150-169.
- Johnston S.G., Rose A.L, Burton E.D., Webster-Brown J. (2015) Landslide-induced iron mobilization shapes benthic accumulation of nutrients, trace metals and REE fractionation in an oligotrophic alpine stream. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 148, 1-22. (2012 ERAID 1898 - FOR 0402)
- Kraal P., Burton E.D., Rose A., Lockhart R., Grice K., Bush R.T., Tan E., Webb S., Kocar B. (in press) Sedimentary iron-phosphorus cycling under contrasting redox conditions in a eutrophic estuary. Chemical Geology. Accepted Manuscript. (2012 ERAID 1893 - FOR 0402)
- Garg S., Ito H., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2013) Mechanism and kinetics of iron redox transformations in acidic photolyzed Natural Organic Matter solutions. Environmental Science and Technology. 47: 1861-1867. (2012 ERAID 4674 - FOR MD)
- Kraal P., Burton E.D., Rose A.L., Cheetham M.D., Bush R.T., Sullivan L.A. (2013) Decoupling between water column oxygenation and benthic phosphate dynamics in a shallow eutrophic estuary. Environmental Science and Technology. 47 (7), 3114-3121. (2012 ERAID 4674 - FOR MD)
- Miller C.J., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2013) Hydroxyl radical production by H2O2-mediated oxidation of Fe(II) complexed by Suwannee River fulvic acid under circumneutral freshwater conditions. Environmental Science and Technology 47: 829-835. (2012 ERAID 4674 - FOR MD)
- Rivers A.R., Rose A.L., Webb E.A. (2013). An online calculator for phytoplankton iron culturing experiments. Journal of Phycology 49: 1017-1021. (2012 ERAID 2607 - FOR 0607).
- Burns J.M., Cooper W.J., Ferry J.L., King D.W., DiMento B.P., McNeill K., Miller C.J., Miller W.L., Peake B.M., Rusak S.A., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2012) Methods for reactive oxygen species (ROS) detection in aqueous environments. Aquatic Sciences: Research Across Boundaries. 74: 683-734(2012 ERAID 36356 - FOR 04)
- Dang T.C., Fujii M., Rose A.L., Bligh M., Waite T.D. (2012) Characteristics of the freshwater cyanobacterium Microcystis aeruginosa grown in iron-limited continuous culture. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78: 1574-1583. (2012 ERAID 2456 - FOR MD)
- Miller C.J., Lee S.M.V., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2012) Impact of natural organic matter on H2O2-mediated oxidation of Fe(II) in seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 46: 11078-11085. (2012 ERAID 4674 - FOR MD)
- Pham A.N., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2012) Kinetics of Cu(II) reduction by humic substances in natural waters. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 116: 6590-6599. (2012 ERAID 122857 - FOR 03)
- Rose A.L. (2012) The influence of extracellular superoxide on iron redox chemistry and bioavailability. Frontiers in Microbiological Chemistry 3:124. (2012 ERAID N/A)
- Yuan X., Pham A.N., Xing G., Rose A.L., Waite T.D.(2012) Effect of pH and chloride concentration on Cu(I) oxidation kinetics at circumneutral pH. Environmental Science and Technology 46: 1527-1535. (2012 ERAID 4674 - FOR MD)
- Dorantes-Aranda J.J., Waite T.D., Godrant A., Rose A.L., Tovar C.D., Woods G.M., Hallegraeff G.M. (2011). Novel application of a fish gill cell line assay to assess ichthyotoxicity of harmful marine microalgae. Harmful Algae 10: 366-373. (ERA 2010 ranking C)
- Fujii M., Dang T.C., Rose A.L., Omura T., Waite T.D. (2011) Effect of light on iron uptake by the freshwater cyanobacterium Microcystis aeruginosa. Environmental Science & Technology. 45(4): 1391-1398 (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Fujii M., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2011). Iron uptake by toxic and non-toxic strains of Microcystis aeruginosa. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 7068-7071. (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Garg S., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2011). Photochemical production of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide from Natural Organic Matter. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75: 4310-4320. (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Mao Y., Pham A.N., Rose A.L. Waite T.D.(2011). Influence of phosphate on the oxidation kinetics of nanomolar Fe(II) in aqueous solution at circumneutral pH. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75: 4601-4610. (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Miller C.J., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2011) Phthalhydrazide chemiluminescence method for determination of hydroxyl radical production: Modifications and adaptations for use in natural systems. Analytical Chemistry. 83: 261-268 (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Rose A.L., Miller C.J., Fujii M., Waite T.D. (2011) Comment on "Application of a superoxide (O2-) thermal source (SOTS-1) for the determination and calibration of O2- fluxes in seawater" by Heller and Croot. Analytica Chimica Acta 702: 144-145. (ERA 2010 ranking A)
- Fujii M., Rose A.L.,Omura T., Waite T.D, (2010) Effect of Fe(II) and Fe(III) Transformation Kinetics on Iron Acquisition by a Toxic Strain of Microcystis aeruginosa. Environmental Science and Technology, 44 (6), 1980-1986 (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Fujii M., Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Omura T. (2010) Oxygen and superoxide-mediated redox kinetics of iron complexed by humic substances in coastal seawater. Environmental Science & Technology, 44(24), 9337-9342. (ERA 2010 ranking A*)
- Rose A. L., Godrant A., Furnas M., Waite T. D. (2010) Dynamics of non-photochemical superoxide production and decay in the Great Barrier Reef lagoon. Limnology and Oceanography, 55(4), 1521-1536. (ERA 2010 ranking A)
- Godrant A, Rose AL, Sarthou G & Waite TD (2009) A new method for the determination of extracellular production of superoxide by marine phytoplankton using the chemiluminescence probes MCLA and red-CLA. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 7:682-692.
- Miller CJ, Rose AL & Waite TD (2009) Impact of natural organic matter on H2O2 mediated oxidation of Fe(II) in a simulated freshwater system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73: 2758-2768.
- Fujii M., Ito H., Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Omura T. (2008) Superoxide-mediated Fe(II) production from organically complexed Fe(III) in coastal waters. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72: 6079-6089.
- Fujii M., Ito H., Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Omura T. (2008) Transformation dynamics and reactivity of dissolved and colloidal iron in coastal waters. Marine Chemistry 110: 165-175.
- Fujii M., Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Omura T. (2008) Effect of divalent cations on the kinetics of Fe(III) complexation by organic ligands in natural waters. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72: 1335-1349.
- Rose A.L., Moffett J.W., Waite T.D. (2008) Determination of superoxide in seawater using 2-methyl-6-(4-methoxyphenyl)-3,7-dihydroimidazo[1,2-a]pyrazin-3(7H)-one (MCLA) chemiluminescence. Analytical Chemistry 80: 1215-1227.
- Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Webb E.A., Moffett J.W. (2008) Measurement and implications of nonphotochemically generated superoxide concentrations in the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 2387-2393.
- Garg S., Rose A.L., Godrant A., Waite T.D. (2007) Iron uptake by the ichthyotoxic Chattonella marina (Raphidophyceae): Impact of superoxide generation. Journal of Phycology 43(5): 978-991.
- Garg S., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2007) Superoxide-mediated reduction of organically complexed iron(III): Impact of pH and competing cations (Ca2+). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71: 5620-5634.
- Garg S., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2007) Superoxide mediated reduction of organically complexed iron(III): Comparison of non-dissociative and dissociative reduction pathways. Environmental Science and Technology 41(9): 3205-3212.
- Garg S., Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2007) Production of reactive oxygen species on photolysis of dilute aqueous quinone solutions. Photochemistry and Photobiology 83: 904-913.
- Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2007) Reconciling kinetic and equilibrium observations of iron(III) solubility in aqueous solutions with a polymer-based model. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71: 5605-5619.
- Fujii M., Rose A.L., Waite T.D., Omura T. (2006) Superoxide-mediated dissolution of amorphous iron oxyhydroxide in seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 40: 880-887.
- Pham A.N., Rose A.L., Feitz A.J., Waite T.D. (2006) Kinetics of ferric iron precipitation in aqueous solutions at pH 6.0-9.5 and 25°C. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 70: 640-650.
- Rose A.L., Waite T.D. (2006) Role of superoxide in the photochemical reduction of iron in seawater. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 70(15): 3869-3882.
- Salmon T.P., Rose A.L., Neilan B.A., Waite T.D. (2006) The FeL model of iron acquisition: Nondissociative reduction of ferric complexes in the marine environment. Limnology and Oceanography, 51(4): 1744-1754.
- Rose AL, Salmon TP, Lukondeh T, Neilan BA & Waite TD (2005) Use of superoxide as an electron shuttle for iron acquisition by the marine cyanobacterium Lyngbya majuscula. Environmental Science and Technology, 39: 3708:3715.
- Rose AL & Waite TD (2005) Reduction of organically complexed ferric iron by superoxide in a simulated natural water. Environmental Science and Technology 39, 2645-2650.
- Pham, A. N., Rose, A. L., Feitz, A. J. and Waite, T. D. (2004) The effect of dissolved natural organic matter on the rate of removal of ferrous iron in fresh waters. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply 4, 213-219.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2003) Effect of dissolved natural organic matter on the kinetics of ferrous iron oxygenation in seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 37, 4877-4886.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2003) Kinetics of hydrolysis and precipitation of ferric iron in seawater. Environmental Science and Technology 37, 3897-3903.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2003) Kinetics of iron complexation by dissolved natural organic matter in coastal waters. Marine Chemistry 84, 85-103.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2003) Predicting iron speciation in coastal waters from the kinetics of sunlight-mediated iron redox cycling. Aquatic Sciences 65, 372-380.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2002) Kinetic model for Fe(II) oxidation in seawater in the absence and presence of natural organic matter. Environmental Science and Technology 36, 433-444.
- Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2001) Chemiluminescence of luminol in the presence of iron(II) and oxygen: oxidation mechanism and implications for its analytical use. Analytical Chemistry 73, 5909-5920.
- Garg, S., Rose, A. L. and Waite, T. D. (2011). Pathways contributing to the formation and decay of ferrous iron in sunlit natural waters. In Aquatic Redox Chemistry, American Chemical Society; Vol. 1071, pp 153-176.
- Rose, A. L. (2005) 'Iron Acquisition by the Marine Cyanobacterium Lyngbya majuscula'. PhD Thesis. The University of New South Wales.