t: +61 6620 3576
Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons.), Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh
Masters of Science in Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Masters of Pharmacy, Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh
Mahmudur Rahman is currently undertaking a PhD degree in Plant Science on alterations in storage protein composition, some specifically with low napin content in Canola (oilseed rape) under the supervision of Dr Bronwyn Barkla and Dr Ben Liu. The outcomes of the study will underpin novel approaches to develop canola or mustard oil crops with improved digestibility and ultimately allow the meal to be exploited as a source of high quality protein. His research interests are proteomics and genomics, seed chemistry, natural product chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology and pharmacoepidemiology.
His initial research aspiration was natural product chemistry and evaluating traditionally used medicinal plants. He started his career with the completion Bachelor of Pharmacy in 2006 in a Pharmaceuticals as a Production officer for International Marketing Products. He moved to the Department of Pharmacy, Northern University Bangladesh (NUB) as a Lecturer in 2007 and was working as an Assistant professor before coming Australia. At NUB, he took Pharmacy undergraduate classes, conducted practical classes and supervised undergraduate thesis researches. He passed the A grade Pharmacy Registration Examination under Bangladesh Pharmacy Council in 2008. He was engaged with Southern Cross Plant Science, Southern Cross University, Australia as a Visiting Researcher from June 1st 2015 to May 31st 2016.
Mahmud started as a Casual Academic (Teaching) for Chemistry with School of Environment, Science and Engineering for in-campus, online and residential student groups from July 2019.
Collaborator, Medicine Stability Database. Project details:
International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) and Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) 2016
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Liu L, Barkla B. (2018) Brassicaceae Mustards: Traditional and Agronomic Uses in Australia and New Zealand. Molecules 23 (1), 231 ; doi:10.3390/molecules23010231. (Impact factor 2.861).
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Rahman MM, Hossain H, Jahan IA, Nesa ML. Antioxidant, antinociceptive and CNS activities of Viscum orientale and high sensitive quantification of bioactive polyphenols by UPLC. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 2016. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2016.00176.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Uddin SJ, Shilpi JA. Comparative effect of Lannea coromandelica (Houtt.) Merr. leaves and stem barks on acetic acid induced pain model in mice and chromagenic reagents : exploring the analgesic potential and phytochemical groups. Pharmacology Online, 2016; 1:146-152.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Islam S, Akter A, Kawser U. Phytopharmacological evaluation of leaves of Olive-Olea europaea. Pharmacology Online, 2015; 1:45-49.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Nesa ML, Hossain H, Jahan IA. Bioactive polyphenols from the methanol extract of Cnicus arvensis (L.) Roth demonstrated antinociceptive and central nervous system depressant activities in mice. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2015; 2015: 7 pages.
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Akter A, Islam S, Akter M, Kabir S. Bioactivity of the bark of Macaranga indica Wight Ic (Euphorbiaceae). World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2014; 3(10): 172-182.
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Haque T, Rahman MM, Akter M, Akter S, Jhumur A. Cytotoxicity potentials of eleven Bangladeshi medicinal plants. The Scientific World Journal. 2014; 2014: 7 pages
- Hossain T, Uddin S, Rahman M, Kundu SK, Rafiquzzaman. In vitro antimicrobial and phytochemical screening of three reputed Bangladeshi medicinal plants. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2014; 6(3): 32-34.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Khan S, Hossain F, Khan AA. Phytochemical, cytotoxic and antibacterial activity of two medicinal plants of Bangladesh. Pharmacology Online, 2014; 1: 03-10.
- Khatun A, Chowdhury UK, Jahan A, Rahman M. Cytotoxic and thrombolytic activity of the aerial part of Cestrum diurnum L. (Solanaceae). Pharmacology Online, 2014; 1: 109-113.
- Biswas AS, Siraj MA, Saifuzzaman M, Rahman M, Khatun A, Hossain A, Khalid AA, Das KK, Yasmin F. Bioactivity of Xanthium indicum koen. (Compositae) leaf. Pharmacology Online, 2014; 1: 21-28.
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Jahan S. Preliminary phytochemical, cytotoxic, thrombolytic and antioxidant activities of the methanol extract of Murraya exotica Linn. leaves. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, 2014; 14(3): 223-229.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Islam MM, Akter MN, Chowdhury SA, Khan MAA, Shahid MIZ, Rahman AA. Evaluation of antimicrobial, cytotoxic, thrombolytic, diuretic properties and total phenolic content of Cinnamomum tamala. International Journal of Green Pharmacy, 2013; 7(3): 236-243.
- Dey SK, Hira A, Ahmed A, Hawlader MSI, Khatun A, Rahman M, Siraj MA. Phytochemical screening and pharmacological activities of Entada scandens seeds. International Journal of Applied Research in Natural Products, 2013; 6(1): 20-26.
- Siraj MA, Salahuddin M, Rahman M, Khatun A, Yasmin F. Investigation of analgesic and antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of the leaf and bark of Streblus asper Lour. International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2013; 4(1): 262-266.
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Kabir S, Akter MN, Chowdhury SA. Phytochemical and pharmacological properties of the methanolic extract of Ardisia humilis Vahl. (Myrsinaceae). International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, 2013; 4(1): 38-41.
- Faisal KS, Giri A, Azam KR, Rahman M, Rashid HA. Solid dispersion formulations of Pioglitazone HCl using five different polymers for enhancing dissolution profile. International Journal of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 2013; 4(1): 2269-2275.
- Siraj MA, Chakma N, Rahman M, Salahuddin M, Sadhu SK. Assessment of analgesic, antidiarrheal and cytotoxic activity of ethanolic extract of the whole plant of Bacopa monnieri Linn. International Research Journal of Pharmacy, 2012; 3(10): 98-101.
- Naheed M, Akter KA, Tabassum F, Mawla R, Rahman M. Factors contributing the outcome of Schizophrenia in developing and developed countries: A brief review. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal, 2012; 1(4): 81-85.
- Nayeem AA, Khatun A, Rahman MS, Rahman M. Evaluation of phytochemical and pharmacological properties of Mikania cordata (Asteraceae) leaves. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, 2011; 3(8): 118-123.
- Ahmed F, Ohtsuki T, Rahman M, Sadhu SK, Kazufumi T, Ishibashi M. Cryptolepine, isolated from Sida acuta, sensitizes human gastric adenocarcinoma cells to TRAIL-induced apoptosis. Phytotherapy Research, 2011; 25(1): 147-150.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Rahman SM, Rashid MA. Antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of Vitis trifolia Linn. Journal of Dhaka International University, 2009; 1(1): 181-184.
- Rahman M. Phytochemical characterization and pharmacological study of Ecbolium linneanum (Family- Acanthaceae) leaves and stems extracts. Masters of Pharmacy thesis submitted to Pharmacy Discipline, Khulna University, 2014.
- Rahman M. Phytochemical and biological investigations of Cnicus arvensis. Masters of Pharmacy project thesis submitted to Department of Pharmacy, The University of Asia Pacific, 2008.
- Rahman M. Phytochemical and pharmacological screening of Lannea coromandelica (Houtt.) Merr. (Family- Anacardiaceae). Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.) thesis submitted to Pharmacy Discipline, Khulna University, 2006.
- Rahman M, Liu L, King GJ, Barkla BJ. Characterizing Brassica seed storage protein mutants to enhance the nutritional value of oilseed. Brassica 2016: 20th Crucifer Genetics Conference, and the 19th Australian Research Assembly on Brassicas. 3-7 October 2016, Melbourne, Australia
- Rahman M, Liu L, Barkla BJ. Optimization of Brassica rapa single seed protein extraction. Research in Science, Engineering and Environment (RISE) Conference, 25-26 October 2016, Southern Cross University, NSW, Australia
- Rahman M, Liu L, Barkla BJ. Possibilities, obstacles and attempts to utilize rapeseed meal protein (Oral presentation). Research in Science, Engineering and Environment (RISE) Conference, 25-26 October 2016, Southern Cross University, NSW, Australia
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Ganguly A, Mahmud A. Towards universal health coverage through traditional medicines in Bangladesh: hurdles and dues. 4th AYUNS International Conference on Traditional Medicine and Universal Health Coverage. 5 March, 2016, Senate building, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Banglades.h
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Rashid HA, Sufian MA, Salam FBA, Khan MIH, Chadni SH, Sukul A, Uddin MN. Methods for bio-evaluation of traditional medicines. 3rd AYUNS International Ayurvedic & Traditional Medicine Conference. 29 November, 2014, Senate building, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh. DOI: 10.13140/2.1.1632.9286.
- Khatun A, Rahman M, Khatun M, Akter KA, Naheed M, Tabassum F, Mahmud A, Uddin MA, Khan DAH, Hossain DB. Outbreak of Chikungunya virus in Bangladesh in November 2011: A case report. Global Conference on Community Health, 19-21 March, 2014 at Senate Building, University of Dhaka. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3849.2641.
- Rahman M, Khatun A, Islam MR, Shilpi JA, Uddin SJ, Hossain G, Sadhu SK. Application of PCR Technology in Agriculture in Bangladesh, International Conference on Biotechnology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 25-26 May 2013.
- Rahman M. Job opportunities for a pharmacist: national and global prospect. Conference on Pharmacy Day. Department of Pharmacy, Northern University Bangladesh, 24 November 2012.
- Rahman M. Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms: Capsules. Saarbrücken, Germany, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-659-78314-2.
- Rahman M, Ara KJ, Khatun A. Diagnostic Test as A Tool To Assess Diseases: A Comparison. Saarbrücken, Germany, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-659-78543-6.