Dr Catherine Nock
t: +61 2 6620 3398
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au
BSc, Biology (University of New South Wales)
MSc, Genetics (Southern Cross University)
PhD, Genetics (Southern Cross University)
My research interests include the genomics, population genetics, phylogenetics and conservation of Australian subtropical species. Current research is focused on the macadamia genome sequence and its potential for understanding the genetic basis of traits of economic importance to the macadamia industry and of adaptive importance for wild populations.
Recent Research Grants
- $185,000. Horticulture Innovation Australia “Establishing an open-source platform for unravelling the genetics of Macadamia: integration of linkage and genome maps” 2015-2019 (CJ Nock, A Baten, GJ King, SCU)
- $191,500. Sugar Research Australia “Validation of LSB-PCR diagnostic for ratoon stunting disease and characterisation of non-Lxx strains of Leifsonia associated with sugarcane” 2014-2017 (AJ Young, USQ, CJ Nock, SCU)
- $30,000. NSW Government, Macadamia Conservation Trust “Macadamia cultivar MCT1: DNA authentication and analysis to infer parentage, origins and relatedness to other cultivars”. 2018-2019 (CJ Nock)
- $19,200. Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries “A DNA varietal identification test for elite selections of the Australian macadamia breeding program”. 2018 (CJ Nock)
- Biosecurity Manager, Plant Science
- Southern Cross University First Aid Officer
- Southern Cross University Representative, CITES
- Scientific Member, Macadamia Conservation Committee
- Nock CJ, Hardner CM, Montenegro JD, Ahmad Termizi AA, Hayashi S, Playford J, Edwards D, Batley J. (in press) Wild origins of macadamia domestication identified through intraspecific chloroplast genome sequencing. Frontiers in Plant Science
- Langdon, K.S., King, G.J. and Nock, C.J. (2019) DNA paternity testing indicates unexpectedly high levels of self-fertilisation in macadamia. Tree Genetics and Genomes. 15:29
- Topp, B.L., Nock, C.J., Hardner, C.M., Alam, M.M. and O’Connor, K.M. (in press) Macadamia (Macadamia spp.) Breeding. In: Advances in Plant Breeding Strategies, Vol 4 Nuts and Industrial Crops. Springer.
- Alam, M.M., Hardner, C.M., Nock, C.J., O’Connor, K.M. and Topp, B.L. (2019) Historical and molecular evidence of genetic identity of HAES 741 and HAES 660 macadamia cultivars. Hort Science.
- O'Connor, K., Killian, A., Hayes, B. Hardner, C., Nock, C.J., Baten, A., Alam, M. and Topp, B.L. (2019) Population structure, genetic diversity and linkage disequilibrium in a macadamia breeding population using SNP and silicoDArT markers. Tree Genetics and Genomes 15:24
- Claassens A, Nock CJ, Rose M, Van Zwieten L, Rose T (2018) Colonisation dynamics of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and dark septate endophytes in the sugarcane crop cycle. Rhizosphere. 7, 18–26.
- Young, A.J. and Nock, C.J. (2017) Molecular detection of diverse Leifsonia strains associated with sugarcane. Plant Disease 101:1422-1431
- Claassens A., Nock, C.J., van Zwieten, L. and Rose, T.J. (2017) Mycorrhizal fungi interactions with nutrients, pests and pathogens in sugarcane: a review. Proceedings of the 39th Conference of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists. 39:326-332
- Nock, C.J. Baten, A., Barkla, B.J., Furtado, A., Henry, R.J. and King, G.J. (2016) Genome and transcriptome sequencing confirms the gene space of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). BMC Genomics 17(1): 937.
- Rost, J., Muralidharan, S., Campbell, D., Merhr, S., Nock, C.J. and Lee A.L. (2016) Discovery of 7S and 11S globulins as putative allergens in macadamia nut by combining allergenomics and serum IgE binding. Internal Medicine Journal 46(S4):10.
- Young, A.J., Kawamata, A., Ensbey, M.A., Lambley, E. and Nock, C.J. (2016) Efficient diagnosis of Ratoon Stunting Disease of sugarcane by quantitative PCR on pooled leaf sheath biopsies. Plant Disease 100(12): 2492-2498.
- Ahmad Termizi, A.A., Hardner, C.M., Batley, J., Nock, C.J. Hayashi, S., Montenegro, J.D. and Edwards, D. (2016) SNP analysis of (2016) Macadamia integrifolia chloroplast genomes to determine the genetic structure of wild populations. Acta Horticulturae 100(12): 1109, 175-180.
- O’Connor, K., Powell, M. Nock, C.J. and Shapcott, A. (2015) Crop to wild gene flow in a vulnerable Macadamia (Proteaceae) species in New South Wales, Australia. Biological Conservation 191:504-511
- Nock, C.J., Baten, A., Langdon, K., Barkla, B., Hardner, C., Topp, B., Furtado, A., Henry, R. and King, G.J (2017) The Macadamia Genome Project. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Hardner C.M., Nock C.J., Batley J., Ahmad Termizi A., Hayashi S., Montenegro J.D. and Edwards D. (2017) Domestication of Macadamia in Hawaii. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Peace, C., Hardner, C.M. and Nock, C.J. (2017) Genetic origins of macadamia cultivars: what we know so far. The Macadamia Genome Project. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Alam, M., Hardner, C., Nock, C., O’Connor, K. and Topp, B. (2017) Historical and molecular evidence of genetic identity of HAES741 and HAES660 macadamia cultivars. 2017 International Macadamia Research Symposium, Hawaii, September 12-14.
- Alam, M., Neal, J., O’Connor, K., Nock C., Langdon, K. and Topp, B. (2017) Morphological and molecular characterization of self-pollinated vs naturally out-crossed progeny of macadamia: a case study of ‘HAES 741’. International Tropical Agriculture Conference, Brisbane, November 20-22nd
- Nock, C.J. (2017) Conserving the wild relatives of macadamia. Rainforests of Subtropical Australia Conference, Robina Qld, March 23-24.
- Langdon, K., Baten, A., Topp B., Hardner, C., King, G.J. and Nock, C.J., (2017) Unravelling the genetics of macadamia: integration of linkage and genome maps. Annual Conference of the Genetic Society of Australasia Conference, Dunedin, New Zealand July 2-6th.
- Rost, J. Muralidharan, S. Campbell, D., Merhr, S., Nock, C.J. and Lee A.L. (2016) Discovery of 7S and 11S globulins as putative allergens in macadamia nut by combining allergenomics and serum IgE binding. ASCIA 2016 27th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Gold Coast September 14-16th.
- Nock, C.J. Baten A., Barkla B.J., Furtado A., Henry R.J. and King G.J. (2016) Cracking the nut: genome and transcriptome sequencing of Macadamia integrifolia (Proteaceae). Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution Conference 2016, Gold Coast July 4-7th.