Dr Shahnaj Parvin
PhD in Science, The University of Melbourne, Australia: 2019
MSc in Soil and Forest Management, University of Copenhagen, Denmark and Georg-August University, Germany: 2014
MSc in Agronomy, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Bangladesh: 2010
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (Honours), Bangladesh Agricultural University, Bangladesh: 2009
Research Gate: TBA
I have joined as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Agronomy and Soil Science at Southern Cross University in June 2019 on a soil CRC funded project led by Associate Professor Terry Rose. The project entitled, ‘Plant based solutions to improve soil performance through rhizosphere modification’, is a collaborative research program among Southern Cross University, Charles Sturt University and other Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) partners. Much of the research relates to detailed measurement of field-based experiments with significant involvements of industry stakeholders such as NSW DPI, Riverine Plains Inc. and Central West Farming Systems (CWFS) grower groups. I will investigate how different plant species modify rhizosphere microbial communities and soil functions through changing the composition and amount of root exudates and rhizodeposition.
Prior commencing to this position, I completed PhD from the University of Melbourne in 2019. My PhD research focused on the biochemical and physiological mechanisms of legume nitrogen fixation under higher atmospheric CO2 concentrations and conducted using the Australian Grains Free Air CO2 Enrichment (AGFACE) facility in Horsham, Victoria. I particularly investigated the effect of climate change (elevated CO2, drought and heat wave) on N2 fixation of legumes under dryland farming systems. I also addressed the changes in C-and N-related metabolites at different organs under the interactive effects of elevated CO2 and drought/heat and relates this shift in metabolism to N2 fixation responses.
During my MSc at Georg-August University in 2014, I investigated the dynamics of microbial and enzymatic activities of boreal Peatland Ecosystems under the supervision of Professor Yakov Kuzyakov, where I particularly analysed the C, N, P, S-cycle related enzymes and microbial activities. I also linked these parameters with organic matter decomposition and greenhouse gas fluxes.
I have been involved in teaching and supervising undergraduate and graduate students at Bangladesh Agricultural University as Lecturer/Assistant Professor since 2011. During this position, I worked on the growth, yield and water use of mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) under contrasting watering regimes and this project was funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Bangladesh.
- Post-graduate writing-up grant supported by the Albert Shimmins Fund
- Student Abroad Travelling Scholarship (SATS)
- Melbourne International Research Scholarship (MIRS)
- Melbourne International Fee Remission (MIFR)
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship for European Union
- President Gold Medal Award
Refereed Journal Articles
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Bourgault M, Roessner U, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Fitzgerald G, Tausz M. 2018. Water availability moderates N2 fixation benefits from elevated CO2: A two-year FACE study on lentil (Lens culinaris MEDIK) in a water-limited agro-ecosystem. Plant, Cell and Environment, 41(10): 2418-2434.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Fitzgerald G, Tausz M. 2019. Free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) improves water use efficiency and moderates drought effect on N2 fixation of Pisum sativum L. Plant and Soil: 436(1):587-606, doi:10.1007/s11104-019-03949-7.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, Fitzgerald G, Tausz M. 2019. Grain minerals quality of dryland legumes as affected by elevated CO2 and drought: A FACE study on lentil (Lens culinaris L.) and faba bean (Vicia faba L.).Crop and Pasture Science, 70 (3): 244-253, doi.org/10.1071/CP18421.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Tausz-Posch S, Fitzgerald G, Armstrong R, Tausz M. 2019. Elevated CO2 improves yield and N2 fixation but not grain N concentration of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) subjected to terminal drought. Environmental and Experimental Botany. 165: 161-173. doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2019.06.003.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S, Fitzgerald G, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Tausz M. 2018. Elevated [CO2] mitigates the effect of surface drought by stimulating root growth to access sub-soil water, Plos One, 13:e0198928.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S, Fitzgerald G, Bahrami H, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Tausz M. 2018. Water use, biomass and grain yield of dryland wheat grown under elevated [CO2] are associated with root length in deeper, but not upper soil layer. Field Crops Research, 224:170-181.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S, Fitzgerald G, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Tausz M. 2018. Yield of canola (Brassica napus L.) benefits more from elevated CO2 when access to deeper soil water is improved. Environmental and Experimental Botany: 155:518-528.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S, Fitzgerald G, Tausz-Posch S, Armstrong R, O’Leary G, Tausz M. 2018. Dynamics in water use of canola cultivars grown under elevated CO2 is linked with their leaf growth patterns: Journal of Plant Physiology: 229:164-169.
- Uddin, S., Parvin, S., Löw, M., Fitzgerald, G. J., Tausz-Posch, S., Armstrong, R. & Tausz, M. 2019. Water use dynamics of dryland canola (Brassica napus L.) grown on contrasting soils under elevated CO2. Plant and Soil.438(1):205-222, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-019-03987-1.
- Parvin S, Blagodatskaya E, Becker J N, Kuzyako Y, Uddin S, Dorodnikov M. (2018). Depth rather than microrelief controls microbial biomass and kinetics of C-, N-, P- and S-cycle enzymes in peatland. Geoderma, 324, 67-76. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2018.03.006.
- Krohn J, Lozanovska I, Kuzyakov Y, Parvin S, Dorodnikiv M. (2017). CH4 and CO2 production below two contrasting peatland micro-relief forms: An inhibitor and δ13C study. Science of The Total Environment 586: 142-151.
- Lozanovska I, Kuzyakov Y, Krohn J, Parvin S, Dorodnikiv M. (2016) Effects of nitrate and sulfate on greenhouse gas emission potentials from microform-derived peats of a boreal peatland: A 13C tracer study. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 100: 182-191.
- Sultana MJ, Parvin S, Ahmad M. and Islam N. 2011. Effect of leaf clipping height on different varieties of Transplant Aman rice grown for dual purpose. Bangladesh Journal of Environmental Science, 20:29-36.
- Uddin S, Parvin S, Awal M A and Bhuiya, M S U. 2013. Effect of water stress on the Morphophysiological Attributes of Mungbean (Vigna radiata L.). International Journal Agricultural Science &Resources. 3 (2): 137 - 148. http://tjprc.org/view_archives.php?year=2013_14_2&id=50&jtype=2&page=3
Uddin S and Parvin S. 2013. Yield Performance of Mungbean (Vigna radiata L.) as Influenced by Irrigation. International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production. 4 (S): 3659 - 3667.
- Islam M S, Sarkar M A R, Uddin S and Parvin S. 2012. Yield of fine rice varieties as influenced by integrated management of poultry manure, urea super granules and prilled urea. Journal Environmental Science & Natural Resources. 5(1): 129 - 132. http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/JESNR/article/view/11567/8465
- Saha RP, Uddin S, Parvin S, Jahan E M and Salim M. 2014. Yield performance of transplant aman rice influenced by organic and inorganic sources of fertilizers. Research and Review: Journal of Botany. 3 (2): 5 – 10.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Loew M, et al., 2019. Metabolic responses relating to changes in N2 fixation of lentil (Lens culinaris MEDIK.) under contrasting growing seasons in a Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) facility. Proceedings of the 19th Australian Society of Agronomy Conference will be held 25 – 28 August 2019, Wagga Wagga, Australia.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Bourgault M, Fitzgerald G, et Al., 2017. N2 fixation and related traits of two lentil genotypes grown under Free Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) facilities in a semi-arid environment, American Society of Agronomy, 22 - 25 October 2017, Tampa, Florida, USA.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Fitzgerald G, et al., 2017. Response of Faba Bean Subjected to Drought Stress Under Free Air CO2 Enrichment Facility (FACE) in a Mediterranean Dry Environment. American Society of Agronomy, 22 - 25 October 2017, Tampa, Florida, USA.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Bourgault M, et al., 2017. Nitrogen fixation and allocation of lentils subjected to heat stress under higher atmospheric CO2 concentration. Proceedings of the 18th Australian Society of Agronomy Conference, 24 – 28 September 2017, Ballarat, Australia.
- Parvin S, Bourgault M, Uddin S, Fitzgerald G, Tausz-Posch S, O'Leary G, Armstrong R., Roessner U, Tausz M. 2016. Elevated CO2 stimulates nitrogen fixation of two lentil genotypes in a dry-land Mediterranean environment, Australian Pulse Conference 2016, International Year of Pulse, 12 - 14 September 2016, Tamworth NSW, Australia.
- Parvin S, Uddin S, Tausz M. (2016) N2 fixation of legumes under elevated CO2, SEFS conference, 30 November to 02 December 2016 Creswick campus, VIC.
Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S et al., (2017) Water use and soil water depletion patterns of dry-land wheat grown under elevated CO2 in a Free Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) facility. ASA, CSA, SSSA, International Annual Meeting, "Managing Global Resources for a Secure Future," on Oct. 22 - 25, 2017, in Tampa, Florida.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S, et al., (2017) Agronomic and physiological responses of wheat grown in split-column under elevated CO2. Proceedings of the 18th Australian Society of Agronomy Conference, 24 – 28 September 2017, Ballarat, Australia.
- Bourgault M, Parvin S, Tausz-Posch S, Loew M, Brand J, Armstrong R, Nuttall J., O'Leary G., Fitzgerald G. and Tausz M. 2017. Future atmospheric CO2 concentrations and heat wave effects on lentil (Lens culinaris): A FACE Experiment. ASA, CSA, SSSA, International Annual Meeting, "Managing Global Resources for a Secure Future," on Oct. 22 - 25, 2017, in Tampa, Florida.
- Uddin S., Löw M., Parvin S, et al., (2016) Yield, gas exchange and water use of dry-land canola on different soils under Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (SoilFACE), 20th International Brassica Conference 2016, 03 - 06 October 2016. Melbourne Australia.
- Uddin S, Löw M, Parvin S et al., (2016) Water use and soil water depletion patterns of dry-land canola grown on different soils under Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (SoilFACE), FVAS Postgraduate symposium, 30 November to 02 December 2016 Parkville, Melbourne.