Dr Simon Williams
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
PhD in Chemistry, University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia: 2019
MSc in Chemistry, University of Waikato, New Zealand
MSc in Chemistry and Physics, University of Waikato, New Zealand
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Simon_Williams18
Dr Simon Williams completed his PhD at the University of the Sunshine Coast investigating the variation of phytochemicals in the floral nectar of members of the Leptospermum genus and their relationship to the production of medicinal (manuka) honey. His project was a part of a larger Agrifutures project “Active Australian Leptospermum Honey: New sources and their bioactivity” seeking to improve the supply and understanding of medicinal (manuka) honey in Australia.
As a postdoctoral research fellow, Simon is currently working on a project “Defining terroir of Australian Coffee to increase demand and investment” supported by funding from AgriFutures Australia as part of the AgriFutures™ Emerging Industries Program.
- Cokcetin, N., Williams, S., Blair, S., Carter, D., Brooks, P. and Harry, L., (2019). Active Australian Leptospermum Honey: New sources and their bioactivity, Agrifutures, https://www.agrifutures.com.au/product/active-australian-leptospermum-honey-new-sources-and-their-bioactivity/
- Williams, S. (2018). A Beekeeper's Guide to Australian Leptospermum Trees and Honey. University of the Sunshine Coast, Sippydowns, Qld, https://www.agrifutures.com.au/product/a-beekeepers-guide-to-australian-leptospermum-trees-and-honey/
Refereed Journal Articles
- Williams, Simon., Pappalardo, Linda., Bishop, Josiah., Brooks, Peter (2018), Dihydroxyacetone Production in the Nectar of Australian Leptospermum Is Species Dependent, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Williams, Simon., King Jessica., Revell, Maria., Manley-Harris, Merilyn., Balks, Megan., Janusch, Franziska., Kiefer, Michael., Clearwater, Michael., Brooks, Peter., Dawson, Murray (2014), Regional, Annual, and Individual Variations in the Dihydroxyacetone Content of the Nectar of Ma̅nuka (Leptospermum scoparium) in New Zealand, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Williams, Simon., Higashi, Charissa., Phothisantikul, Phacharakamol., Van Wesenbeeck, Sam., Antal, Michael (2014), The fundamentals of biocarbon formation at elevated pressure: from 1851 to the 21st century, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis
- Windsor, S., Pappalardo, M., Brooks, P., Williams, Simon., Manley-Harris, Merilyn (2011), A convenient new analysis of dihydroxyacetone and methylglyoxal applied to Australian Leptospermum honeys, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy