Professor Terry Rose
t: +61 2 6620 3457
f: +61 2 6622 2080
BSc in Agr ( University of Sydney)
PhD in Plant Nutrition (University of Western Australia)
Prior to undertaking a PhD, I worked as an extension agronomist with NSW Department of Agriculture in Wagga Wagga and then the Hunter Valley, and worked for a private agronomic company in the United Kingdom. From April 2010 until August 2011, I worked in plant biosecurity for Plant Health Australia, a not-for-profit company funded by industry and government based in Canberra.
Current research areas include:
- Agronomy and nutrition of aerobic rice
- Herbicide residues in soils and implications for crop growth
- Phosphorus efficiency of crop plants, focussing on loading of phosphate into grains
- Enhanced efficiency fertilisers in the subtropics
- Cover cropping and intercropping in field crops and horticulture
- Coffee varietal performance in the Australian subtropics and the Pacific
- Organic agricultural systems (see details at Organic Research Centre website)
- Recycled organics: impacts of amendments on soils and crops
- Nitrogen efficiency in subtropical sugarcane systems
- Subtropical grazing systems
- New high value crops for coastal cropping systems in the subtropics
$100,000. Innovations Connections Scheme “Develop AMO’s capability to increase profitability and market reach of volatile oil of mustard” 2017-2018 (Prof. G. King, Assoc. Prof. T. Rose).
$306,000. Sugar Research Australia/Rural R&D for Profit “Improved nitrogen use efficiency through accounting for deep soil and mineralisable N supply, and deployment of Enhanced Efficiency Fertilisers to better match crop N demand” 2016-2019 (Dr L. Van Zwieten, Assoc. Prof. T. Rose, Mr R. Beattie).
$15,000. Sugar Research Australia mid-career researcher award “Assessing the real nitrogen benefits to subtropical cane from soybean break crops” 2017-2018 (Assoc. Prof. T.Rose).
$100,000. Innovations Connections Scheme “Trialling new rice varieties under northern NSW growing conditions” 2017-2018 (Assoc. Prof. T. Rose).
$27,000. NSW Tech Voucher Scheme “Fertiliser management strategies to achieve optimum grain yields while reducing nitrogen losses into local waterways” 2017 (Assoc. Prof. T. Rose).
$30,000. Australian Meat Processor Corporation PIP “Identification of suitable crops for sustainable bio-remediation of wastewater from a bovine service abattoir” 2016-2017 (Assoc. Prof. B. Barkla, Assoc. Prof. T. Rose).
- $220,000 Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) "Exploring coffee genetic resources for the pacific islands" 2017-2018 (Ass. Pro. T Rose, Dr W Hancock, Dr K Glencross, Dr D Waters)
- $1,250,000. Grains Research and Development Corporation "A consortium approach to assessing risk and biological impacts of herbicides in the grains industry" 2013-2017 (Dr L. van Zwieten, Dr M. Rose, Dr N. Seymour, Dr G. McGrath, Dr T. Vancov, Dr T. Rose, Dr A. Baten, Mr S. Kimber, Prof. I. Kennedy, Dr A. Crossan, Dr T. Cavagnaro, Ms A. Jenkins)
- $703,459. Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Carbon Farming Initiative Action on the Ground program Round 2 "The Fruit Salad Project: Soil amendments in fertigated melons, blueberries and banana production" 2013-2017 (Ms J. Cox, Dr L. van Zwieten, Mr S. Kimber, Dr T. Rose)
$697,514. Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Carbon Farming Initiative Action on the Ground program Round 2 “Rice stubble, fertiliser and water management options to reduce N2O emissions and build soil C” 2013-2017 (Mr A. Bomm, Dr T. Rose, Dr L. van Zwieten, Mr S. Kimber, Dr D. Erler, Mr R. Ford)
$737,904. Department of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Carbon Farming Initiative Action on the Ground program Round 2 “Nitrogen management to mitigate N2O in sugarcane- a high input industry” 2013-2017 (Mr R. Quirk, Dr L. van Zwieten, Dr T. Rose, Mr S. Kimber, Mr G. Butler, Dr S. Donne)
Recent Book Chapters
- Kant, J; lshizaki, T; Pariaska-Tanaka, J; Rose, T; Wissuwa, M; Watt, M (2018) What is the phosphorus efficient phenotype of rice? In Rice 14-20 pp INTECH, Zagreb.
- , M; Rose, TJ; Chin, JH; Heuer, S; Krishnan, SG; Singh, AK (2017) Nutrient homeostasis and breeding for nutrient starvation tolerance in rice. In Ahmed (ed.) Physiological mechanisms and adaptation strategies in plants under changing environment. Springer NY.
- Rose, TJ; Bowden, B (2013) Matching soil nutrient supply and crop demand during the growing season. In Rengel (ed.) Improving water- and nutrient-use efficiency in food production systems. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester UK.
Recent Journal Articles
- Borpatragohain P, Rose TJ, Liu L, Barkla BJ, Raymond CA, King GJ (2019) Remobilisation and fate of sulphur in mustard. Annals of Botany, mcz101, https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcz101
- Rose TJ, Kearney LJ (2019) Biomass Production and Potential Fixed Nitrogen Inputs from Leguminous Cover Crops in Subtropical Avocado Plantations. Agronomy 2019, 9, 70; doi:10.3390/agronomy9020070
- Borpatragohain P, Rose TJ, Liu L, Raymond C, Barkla BJ, King GJ (2019) Seed glucosinolate yield is maximized by higher rates of sulfur nutrition than required for seed yield in condiment mustard (Brassica juncea L.). PLoSONE, in press
- Claassens, A., Rose, M. T., Van Zwieten, L., Weng, Z., & Rose, T. J. (2019). Soilborne glyphosate residue thresholds for wheat seedling metabolite profiles and fungal root endophyte colonisation are lower than for biomass production in a sandy soil. Plant and Soil.
- Rose TJ, Kearney L, Erler D, Van Zwieten L (2018) Integration and potential nitrogen contributions of green manure inter-row legumes in coppiced tree cropping systems. European Journal of Agronomy 103 47–53
- Rose TJ, Kearney L, Morris S, Van Zwieten L, Erler D (2018) Pinto peanut cover crop nitrogen contributions and potential to mitigate nitrous oxide emissions in subtropical coffee plantations. Science of The Total Environment 1656 108–117
- Rempelos, L., Almuayrifi, A.M., Baranski, M., Tetard-Jones, C., Eyre, M., Shotton, P., Cakmak, I., Ozturk, L., Cooper, J., Volakakis, N., Schmidt, C., Sufar, E., Wang, J. Wilkinson, A., Rosa, B.A.S., Zhao, B.. Rose, T.J., Leifert, C. and Bilsborrow, P. (2018) Effects of agronomic management and climate on leaf phenolic profiles, disease severity and grain yield in organic and conventional wheat production systems Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.8b02626
- Julia CC, Rose TJ, Pariasca-Tanaka J, Jeong K, Matsuda T, Wissuwa M (2018) Phosphorus uptake commences at the earliest stages of seedling development in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 69, 5233–5240
- Jeong K, Pantoja O, Baten A, Waters D, Kretzschmar T, Wissuwa M, Julia CC, Heuer S, Rose TJ (2018) Transcriptional response of rice flag leaves to restricted external phosphorus supply during grain filling in rice cv. IR64. PLOS ONE 13(9): e0203654.
- Ali F, Waters DLE, Ovenden B, Bundock P, Raymond CA, Rose TJ (2018) Australian rice varieties vary in grain yield response to heat stress during reproductive and grain filling stages. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science; 00:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/jac.12312
- Claassens A, Nock CJ, Rose M, Van Zwieten L, Rose T (2018) Colonisation dynamics of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and dark septate endophytes in the sugarcane crop cycle. Rhizosphere. 7, 18–26.
- Rose M, Ng E, Weng Z, Wood RH, Rose TJ, Van Zwieten L (2018) Minor effects of herbicides on microbial activity in agricultural soils are detected by N-transformation but not enzyme activity assays. European Journal of Soil Biology 87, 72–79.
- Rose TJ, Quin P, Morris SG, Kearney LJ, Kimber S, Rose MT, Van Zwieten L (2018) No evidence for higher agronomic N use efficiency or lower nitrous oxide emissions from enhanced efficiency fertilisers in aerobic subtropical rice. Field Crops Research. 225, 47–54
- Rose TJ, Kearney LJ, Erler DV, Rose MT, van Zwieten L, Raymond CA (2017) Influence of growth stage and seed nitrogen on B values and potential contributions to error in estimating biological N2 fixation using the 15N natural abundance method. Plant and Soil https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-018-3600-2
- Giri J, Bhosale R, Huang G, Pandey B, Parker H, Zappala S, Yang J, Dievert A, Bureau C, Ljung K, Proce A, Rose T, et al (2018) Rice auxin influx carrier OsAUX1 facilitates root hair elongation in response to low external phosphate. Nature Communications vol 9, Article number: 1408. DOI doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-03850-4
- Wang F, Longkumer T, Catausan S, Calumpang C, Tarun J, Jerome C, Ishizaki T, Pariasca Tanaka J, Rose T, Wissuwa M, Kretzschmar T (2018) Genome wide association and gene validation studies for early root vigor to improve direct seeding of rice. Plant Cell and Environment. DOI:10.1111/pce.13400 (In press)
- Balindong, JL; Ward, RM; Rose, TJ; Liu, L; Raymond, CA; Snell, PJ; Ovenden, BW; Waters, DLE (2018) Rice grain protein composition influences head rice yield. Cereal Chemistry DOI: 10.1002/cche.10031
- Nguyen, BN; Rose, MT; Rose, TJ; van Zwieten, L (2018) Effect of glyphosate and a commercial formulation on soil functionality assessed by substrate induced respiration and enzyme activity. European Journal of Soil Biology 85: 64-72.
- Weng, Z; Van Zwieten, L; Singh, B-P; Tavakkoli, E; Joseph, S; Macdonald, LM; Rose, TJ; Rose, MT, Kimber, SWL; Morris, S; Cozzolino, D; Araujo, JR; Archanjo, BS; Cowie, A (2017) Biochar built soil carbon over a decade by stabilizing rhizodeposits. Nature Climate Change 7: 371–376.
- Rose, TJ; Rose, M; Wood, R; Van Zwieten, L (2017) A re-evaluation of the agronomic effectiveness of the nitrification inhibitors DCD and DMPP and the urease inhibitor NBPT. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment Accepted 13.10.17
- Wang, F; King, DJM; Rose, TJ; Kretzschmar, T; Wissuwa, M (2017) Can natural variation in grain P concentrations be exploited in rice breeding to lower fertilizer requirements? PLOS One 12(6): e0179484.
- Tong, C; Chen, Y; Tan, Y; Liu, L; Waters, DLE, Rose, TJ; Shu, Q; Bao, J (2017) Analysis of lysophospholipid content in low phytate rice mutants. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 65: 5435–5441.
- Claassens, A; Nock, CJ; Van Zwieten, L; Rose, TJ (2017) Mycorrhizal fungi interactions with nutrients, pests and pathogens in sugarcane: A review. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists 39: 326–332.
- Balindong, JL; Ward, RM; Liu, L; Rose, TJ; Pallas, LA; Ovenden, BW; Snell, PJ; Waters, DLE (2017) Rice grain protein composition influences instrumental measures of rice cooking and eating quality. Journal of Cereal Science Accepted 25.09.17
- Rose TJ, Kretzschmar T, Waters DLE, Balindong JL, Wissuwa M (2017) Prospects for Genetic Improvement in Internal Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Rice. Agronomy 2017, 7, 70; doi:10.3390/agronomy7040070
- Rose TJ,Van Zwieten L, Claassens A, Scanlan C, Rose MT (2017) Phytotoxicity of soilborne glyphosate residues is influenced by the method of phosphorus fertiliser application. Plant and Soil https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-017-3482-8
- Rose TJ, Morris SJ, Quin P, Kearney LJ, Kimber S, Van Zwieten L (2017) The nitrification inhibitor DMPP applied to subtropical rice has an inconsistent effect on nitrous oxide emissions Soil Research doi.org/10.1071/SR17022
- Jeong, K; Julia, CC; Waters, DLE; Pantoja, O; Wissuwa, M; Heuer, S; Liu, L; Rose, TJ (2017) Remobilisation of phosphorus fractions in rice flag leaves during grain filling: implications for photosynthesis and grain yields. PLoS ONE 12(11): e0187521. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0187521
- Rose, TJ; Keen, B; Morris, SG; Quin, P; Rust, J; Kearney, L; Kimber, S; Van Zwieten, L (2016) Application of woody biochar and woody mulch to mitigate nitrous oxide emissions from a poultry litter-amended soil in the subtropics. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 228: 1–8
- Borpatragohain, P; Rose, TJ; King, GJ (2016) Fire and brimstone: molecular interactions between sulfur and glucosinolate biosynthesis in model and crop brassicaceae. Frontiers in plant Science 21, 7: 1735
- Rose, TJ; Erler, DV; Farzana, T; Van Zwieten, L (2016) Delayed permanent water rice production systems do not improve the recovery of 15N-urea compared to continuously flooded systems. European Journal of Agronomy 81: 46-51.
- Wissuwa, M; Kretzschmar, T; Rose, TJ (2016) From promise to application: root traits for enhanced nutrient capture in rice breeding. Journal of Experimental Botany 67: 3605-3615.
- Jeong, K; Baten, A; Waters, DLE; Pantoja, O; Julia, C; Wissuwa, M; Heuer, S; Kretzschmar, T; Rose, TJ (2016) Phosphorus remobilization from rice flag leaves during grain filling: an RNA-seq study. Plant Biotechnology Journal doi: 10.1111/pbi.12586
- Julia, CC; Wissuwa, M; Kretzschmar, T; Jeong, K; Rose, TJ (2016) Phosphorus uptake, partitioning and redistribution during grain filling in rice. Annals of Botany 118: 1151-1162.
- Rose, TJ; Wood, RH; Gleeson, DB; Rose, MT; Van Zwieten, L (2016) Removal of phosphorus in residues of legume or cereal plants determines growth of subsequently planted wheat in a high phosphorus fixing soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 52: 1085-1092.
- Welling, MT; Shapter, TH; Rose, TJ; Stanger, R; King, GJ (2016) Conservation and characterisation of ex situ Cannabis genetic resources to underpin a systematic approach to crop improvement. Frontiers in Plant Science doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.01113
- Rose, TJ; Kretzschmar, T; Liu, L; Lancaster, G; Wissuwa, M (2016) Phosphorus deficiency alters nutrient accumulation patterns and grain nutritional quality in rice. Agronomy 6, 52: doi:10.3390/agronomy6040052
- Vandamme, E; Wissuwa, M; Rose, TJ; Dieng, I; Drame, KN; Fofana, M; Senthilkumar, K; Venuprasad, R; Jallow, D; Segda, Z; Suriyagoda, L; Sirisena, D; Kato, Y; Saito, K (2016) Genotypic variation in grain P loading across diverse rice growing environments and implications for field P balances. Frontiers in Plant Science doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.01435
- Rose, TJ (2016) Polymer-coated urea delays growth and accumulation of key nutrients in aerobic rice but does not affect grain mineral concentrations. Agronomy 6, 9: doi:10.3390/agronomy6010009
- Nguyen, BD; Rose, MT; Rose, TJ; Morris, S; Van Zwieten, L (2016) Impact of glyphosate on soil microbial biomass and respiration: A meta-analysis. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 92: 50-57.
- Vandamme, E; Wissuwa, M; Rose, TJ: Abouaton, K; Saito, K (2016) Strategic phosphorus (P) application to the nursery bed increases seedling growth and yield of transplanted rice at low P supply. Field Crops Research 186: 10-17.
- Rose, MT; Cavagnaro, TR; Scanlan, CA; Rose, TJ; Vancov, T; Kimber, S; Kennedy, IR; Kookana, RS; Van Zwieten, L (2016) The impacts of herbicides on soil biology and soil function. Advances in Agronomy 136: 133-220.