The Equity and Diversity Office focuses on staff who are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,
- people with disabilities,
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and
- people of diverse sexualities and gender identifications.
There is range of training & development opportunities available to assist staff to broaden their understandings and cultural competence and enhance their skill-set.
Southern Cross University proudly supports the Human Rights Commission Racism. It Stops With Me campaign. As a supporter organisation we commit to undertake activities to challenge racist attitudes and to educate about racism and its detrimental effects to all of society.
For more information please contact Senior Equity and Diversity Officer Rob Cumings.
What is EEO?
EEO or Equal Employment Opportunity means that all peoples regardless of gender, race, colour, age, marital or parental status, sexuality or gender diversity, disability or religious belief have the right to be given fair consideration for a job or other job related benefits such as staff training and development.
Southern Cross University has an EEO policy and procedures in place to ensure that employment practices are free from discrimination, and that appointment is based on merit.
The University's Strategic Plan lists the following Value Statements:
- Social Justice - We advance human rights and are committed to providing opportunities for students and staff in an inclusive, culturally safe environment.
- Ethical Behaviour - We act with integrity in an honest, fair, equitable and accountable manner in all our dealings.
EO Online is an interactive equal opportunity workshop which aims to provide staff with better understandings of equal opportunity and its application at the University. The program promotes awareness of discrimination and harassment issues and provides an understanding of the legal rights and responsibilities of staff.
The University also has a Harassment, Bullying & Discrimination Policy in place.
Equity & Diversity Contacts
The Equity & Diversity Office has developed and supports a network of Equity & Diversity Contacts who are a point of contact for staff with a query or concern about an equity or diversity matter.