Harmony Day is a day of cultural respect for everyone who calls Australia home - from the traditional owners and custodians of this land to those who have come from many countries around the world. It coincides with the United Nations International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
The overarching theme for Harmony Day is 'Everyone Belongs'. To show your support, please consider wearing the colour of Harmony Day - orange.
Harmony Day will be celebrated at the University on Wednesday 21 March 2018.
The Equity & Diversity Office and LEXSA student association are collabrating to provide;
- a free lunch and live music - in the Plaza from 12:00midday
- a Harmony Day stall featuring Harmony Oranges and a 'Togetherness Tags' interactive installation - in the Plaza from 12:00midday
Gold Coast campus
The Equity & Diversity Office and Chaplaincy, Multifaith and Pastoral Care Service are collaborating to provide;
- Special guest speaker - in the Marquee from 10:00am
Terry Ayling is the facilitator of Compassionate Gold Coast and a member of the Australian Compassion Council of the Global Charter for Compassion. Terry will speak about the Gold Coast City Council's pledge to be a City of Compassion, what this means and how the University can partner with this initiative.
- Morning tea with Harmony cupcakes - in the Marquee from 10:30am
Coffs Harbour campus
The Equity & Diversity Office, Chaplaincy, Multifaith and Pastoral Care Service, Coffs Harbour Student Association and TAFE Student Central are collaborating to provide;
- Let’s Talk Café - In front of D Block from 10:00am
Cake and conversation about spirituality and faith.
- BBQ Lunch - In front of G Block from 12:00midday
$1 sausage sandwich hosted by TAFE Student Central
- Free Lunch for Southern Cross University students - in the Uni Lounge from 12:00midday
- Harmony Day Stall - in the Gathering Space from 10:00am – 1:30pm
Features a World Map - draw your family origins, migration path to or place of birth in Australia. Also - a cardboard cut-out figure (decorate this larger-than-life cardboard cutout sharing your reflections, thoughts and aspirations about Harmony Day).