Employee information

Employee records

1. Central records are kept in HR Services for all University employees. These records are in the form of hard copy personnel files and/or electronic files containing:

  • Personal information; and
  • Information relating to an employee's history at the University, such as their:
    • Recruitment
    • Conditions of employment
    • Payroll details
    • Employment history
    • Leave history
    • Superannuation
    • Promotion
    • Qualifications
    • Job performance

2. Generally, access to employee records is restricted to HR Services staff, the employee's direct supervisor and the employee. Subject to providing proof of identity, and in the presence of HR Services staff, an employee may:

  • Examine the contents of their personnel file, with the exception of any confidential reports obtained by the University such as medical reports or referee reports;
  • Seek to have any corrections made or additional material added to their file;
  • Request photocopies of documents on their file. (Files cannot be removed from the HR Services office and documents cannot be removed from the file.)

3. An employee may also view their electronic records using MyHR or, where this is not practicable, obtain the assistance of staff within HR Services to see these records.

4. Before a supervisor places a document on an employee's file that comments adversely on the employee or the employee's performance, they are required to refer the document to the employee and request that the employee signs the document as acknowledgement that they have been informed of its contents. The employee has the right to respond to the statements made in the document and to have that response placed on their file.

5. Personal information that an employee provides to the University is protected by the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998 and health information is protected by the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002. Further information is available from the University's Privacy Management Plan.

6. The Employee details form, completed during induction, informs new employees that details such as their name, position title, qualifications, work location and email address may be placed in University Publications and on the University website.

7. Unless an employee gives specific written permission, or the University is subpoenaed or legally bound to provide information, the University will not release any additional information about an employee to a third party.

Updating contact details

8. Employees can view and update the following personal information through MyHR:

  • Residential and postal addresses
  • Contact phone numbers
  • Email address
  • Emergency contacts.

Changing your name

9. Employees wishing to change their name on University records are required to provide the following documentary proof to their HR Advisor/work unit Administrative Officer:

  • A written request to change University records; and
  • The original of one of the following documents clearly show the link between their existing name and new name:
    • An original birth certificate, marriage certificate or change of name certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages; or
    • A passport.

10. Where the work unit Administrative Officer sights the original documentation, they are to forward requests to HR Services, together with copies of the original documents, marked as 'original sighted' and initialled. The documents are placed in the employee's file and HR Services will take action to change its records.

11. After advising HR, the employee will need to inform details of their change of name to:

  • Technology Services and request their email address be altered; and
  • The Taxation Office, their financial institution and their superannuation fund to alter their records with those organisations.

Providing qualifications

12. On the first day of employment, all new employees are required to provide the following evidence of their qualifications to their HR Advisor/work unit Administrative Officer:

  • Original testamurs, transcripts or certificates for all academic and professional qualifications listed in their application;
  • Documentary proof of change of name (such as a marriage certificate or statutory declaration - NSW statutory declaration or
    Qld statutory declaration) if the employee's name differs to that recorded on the documents provided; and
  • Verification of the job skills/certification required for the role.

13. If they are awarded further academic or professional qualifications during their employment, existing employees are also required to provide these details.

14. Employees with overseas qualifications may need to provide evidence, and in some cases a translation, that confirms their qualifications are recognised in Australia. Further information is available from the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR) website.

15. Where the work unit Administrative Officer sights the original documentation, they are to forward requests to HR Services, together with copies of the original documents, marked as 'original sighted' and initialled.

16. When received by HR Services, the qualification information is recorded and the documents placed on the employee's personnel file.

17. The following qualifications are used for purposes such as staff directory entries on the University's website and on University business cards:

  • Academic qualifications at the level of Diploma and higher, obtained from a recognised tertiary education institution (eg TAFE, Institute of Technology, Teachers' College, College of Advanced Education, University or overseas equivalent); and
  • Professional qualifications such as CPA, CA and RN.

18. Employees are required to inform HR Services if and when professional qualifications or memberships are no longer current.

Issuing certificates of service

19. Upon receipt of a written, signed request from an employee or former employee, HR Services will issue a certificate of service providing details of the employee's service and the position/s held during their employment with the University.