Rewards program for professional employees
Southern Cross University’s vision is to be recognised for enriching our communities through the excellence of our scholarship and the achievements of our graduates. To achieve our vision, the University recognises staff who demonstrate outstanding achievement in areas of performance that align to our values and strategic priorities.
Professional Staff at Southern Cross University play a valuable role in the University’s success and achievement of our goals. The Rewards Program for Professional Employees recognises high performing employees and teams for their positive achievements and sustained contribution to the University.
Outstanding performance eligible for a reward will include at least one of the following areas:
- Excellence in Customer Service
- Excellence in Leadership
- Excellence in Workplace Health and Safety
- Excellence in Support for Teaching Outcomes
- Excellence in Support for Research Outcomes
- Excellence in Enhancing the Student Experience
- Excellence in Initiative and Innovation
The contribution may be as a result of sustained high level performance or a significant stand-alone achievement. Examples of performance (in the above areas) should be readily and fairly differentiated from the normal satisfactory level of performance expected in the position including the HEW level of the position.
The example/s of outstanding performance should align with goals and achievements set out in the annual performance review and planning (PRP) processes.
- A one-off bonus payment of $2,000 to be taken as salary or as an additional contribution to their superannuation account;
- Financial assistance of $2,000 to assist with staff development activities including study, conference attendance, external workshop - to be expended within 12 months; or
- Additional one week of annual leave to be taken within 12 months (individual rewards only).
In the case of team awards, the reward amount will be divided amongst all eligible team members.
Rewards will be funded by the relevant work unit. The granting of rewards will not be inhibited by budget constraints.
Continuing, fixed-term and casual professional employees working continuously at the University for six (6) months or more.
Nominations are limited to one nomination per work unit in any year.
Nominations are open for a defined period each year and will be communicated to staff by HR Services. Nominations are submitted to the Head of Work Unit (HoWU) on a Nomination for rewards program.
Nominations are to include:
- A copy of the completed annual performance review plan;
- The current position description;
- Any other supporting documentation.
A Rewards Panel will meet to consider nominations. The Rewards Panel will comprise four staff at a minimum of manager level, one of which is a Human Resources Manager (Chairperson), and another of which is a Head of Work Unit.
Panel members will not participate in the consideration of rewards for employees from within their own work unit.
The Rewards Panel will determine which nominations should be approved for a Reward as well as recommend the most meritorious nomination of all those considered. The Vice Chancellor will approve the Panel’s recommendations.
The Rewards Panel may seek further information from nominees and/or supervisors as may be required.
All persons involved in these procedures are required to act in accordance with University policies and will maintain the confidentiality of matters discussed by the Panel.