Working with children - state and territory obligations

Each state and territory within Australia has its own legislation which regulates working with children. The University has an obligation to ensure that working with children checks (or the state or territory equivalent) has been undertaken before University staff, students or volunteers are permitted to engage in child-related work in any state or territory.

The following is a summary of the different schemes that operate across Australia to regulate working with children:

State/territoryNameAgency and website
Queensland  Blue Card System  Blue Card Services (a division of Queensland Public Safety Business Agency)
New South Wales Working with Children Check  Office of the Children’s Guardian
Victoria  Working with Children Check Department of Justice and Regulation
Australian Capital Territory Working with Vulnerable People Registration  Access Canberra
South Australia  Child-Related Employment Screening  Department for Communities and Social Inclusion
Northern Territory  Working with Children Check Northern Territory Government
Western Australia  Working with Children Check Department for Child Protection and Family Support
Tasmania Working with Children Registration Department of Justice

The requirements in each state or territory are different, so it is not possible to provide a comprehensive list of activities for which working with children checks are required.

Information about who requires a working with children check in New South Wales and Queensland is available in the University’s Child Safe Environment Policy and Procedures. Please refer to the webpages listed above for information about the requirements in other states and territories. If you think that you, or someone you supervise or are responsible for, are engaged in activities where contact with children is likely (including working, volunteering or undertaking placement where you will have contact with children) please contact HR Services in order to ensure that working with children requirements have been met.

In all states and territories other than South Australia, if your only contact with children is with enrolled University students, who may occasionally be under the age of 18, you are not required to undergo a working with children check or equivalent.