+

Video Transcript: Designing a Unit

 

Video

Transcript

Blueprinting Creative Arts 1: A Unit Design Case Study

In starting the design process the first thing that I think is quite an important thing is to understand the philosophy of what this unit is about. So where does the unit come from, why is it in existence, and then to work from that place. The philosophy is also a really important thing because I think that it is a checkpoint for us to always work out whether or not we're doing what we set out to achieve. The biggest part of that was the blueprinting process. So the aims of our unit were very clear that we needed to escalate students' confidence and competence in the creative arts. But how do we actually do that? So before approaching the blueprint process, there was a fairly significant mind map of what it was that was going to be involved in each of the four art forms in this particular unit. Having done that we were able to recognise both from our accreditation process which has a whole pile of information about what students are going to be covering, we were able to dump that into these chunks of learning that were being designed, making all of those steps become more fluid, and it aided both the blueprint process but also the end result.

So there was quite a lot of work that went into me sitting at home with a whole pile of butchers paper and being able to actually understand what was essential and what was needed to happen then. The next thing that occurred was that I undertook the heavy blueprinting process. This particular process, even though it has a formalised template approach, that the School of Education uses, that we were able to look at all of those individual components and be able to understand how all of those things would influence the students' learning. The interesting thing for us is that, still, we went backwards, saying 'Here is when the summative assessment needed to occur and let me now make sure that the outcomes were being addressed through the learning activities, prior to that'. So it all aligned very neatly and went from one to the other. The reason why I actually am quite a fan of the blueprint process is, for us, that it didn't work. I say that, at that moment in time we're able to say that the unit as it had existed previously, was not actually going to be achievable in the new structure. So we were confident that we had the right material, it just was in the wrong order. So when we looked at the blueprint that all we needed to do was to take the second five topics and put them first and in essence that made this unit achievable.

Having done that process we were also able to see that there was a very strong need for a flow-through both for the formative assessment tasks that would happen online and also for the summative assessment tasks. So we were able to go back to our original philosophy and say 'Here is our online material, here's what going to happen either in our weekly workshops or as external students in an intensive workshop and here is how it's all going to be assessed'. This was quite an important document for us because it actually limited, structured and gave sound advice to a whole pile of philosophy and ideas.