TAFE Qualification Credit Linkages to Southern Cross University


TAFE QLD LOGOCongratulations! if you have completed Certificate IV level study (or higher) with any Australian TAFE Institute you are well on your way to earning your Southern Cross University Degree. You can use your TAFE qualification to gain entry (admission) into a related Southern Cross course, with credit for your prior studies (advanced standing).

A guaranteed place of study

All applicants must meet the University's minimum English language proficiency requirements for Admission.

For completed and partially completed TAFE courses/qualifications, please be guided by our academic selection ranks for University entry and the indicative selection rank published for each Southern Cross course.

With these selection ranks in mind and assuming you are proficient in English, it is true to say, if you graduate from a TAFE Institute situated outside the Southern Cross regional area with:

  • a Certificate IV qualification, entry is guaranteed into all Southern Cross Associate Degrees; or 
  • a Diploma or Advanced Diploma, entry is guaranteed into all Southern Cross Associate Degrees, most 3 year Bachelor Degrees and some 4 year Bachelor DegreesTAFE NSW.

Regional bonus

If you graduate with a Diploma or Advanced Diploma from a TAFE Institute located within the Southern Cross regional area, such as TAFE NSW - North TAFE NCICoast Institute or TAFE Queensland - Gold Coast, guaranteed entry extends to all Associate Degrees and all 3 and 4 year Bachelor Degrees, as you will be granted a minimum selection rank of:

  • Diploma (rank 86.10); and
  • Advanced Diploma (rank 92.65).

Been there, done that? Get credit!

Search the TAFE Qualification Credit Linkages  document for specific credits approved into Southern Cross courses.

Click the link to download. Open the document. Select 'Cmd+F' for Mac or 'Ctrl+F' for Windows to reveal the search window. Enter the search criteria (course/occupation/unit name or code) in the window and select 'Enter'.

Cant find what you're looking for?

If your TAFE units are similar to one or more units in your Southern Cross course, you should still have your prior learning assessed by applying for Advanced Standing. As a guide to possible credit transfer, view standard credit transfer amounts at Southern Cross University.

What else should I know?

Take a look at Recognition of Prior Learning (Advanced Standing).

If you have substantial industry experience, check out comparability of informal experience to formal qualifications to evaluate whether your on-the-job skills and years of service can boost the amount of credit transfer you may be entitled to receive.

What's next?

Australian and New Zealand citizens and humanitarian visa holders should:

International citizens studying in Australia on a student visa should:

Am I on the right path?

Everyone's background and path to university and a career is unique. So that you can overcome any differences you may experience between TAFE and Southern Cross University we've put together a transition program to show you what university life, services, technologies and study looks like.

Follow the connect and prepare steps to learn more about being set for university.

If you're still unsure as to which Southern Cross course and career is right for you, why not:

Still have questions? contact us