Bachelor of Science (Regenerative Agriculture)
A flexible, multi-dimensional degree that allows you to incorporate a wide range of subjects in an integrated way with career-focused science disciplines. As the only undergraduate specialisation addressing regenerative agriculture in Australia and globally, you will study human ecology, soil processes, regenerative strategies and soil management as well as the planning of rural landscapes, developing specialist knowledge that takes a holistic approach to food production and farm management. A key aspect of this practice specialisation are on-farm residential schools.
Career opportunities exist in public and private sectors as a regenerative agricultural specialist/consultant, farmer, resource manager, regenerative agronomist, sustainability advisor and planner, policy developer, biologist, ecologist, soil health scientist, or in scientific research. Combined with our education course, students may also take roles in high school agricultural science.
Graduates of the Diploma of Science are guaranteed entry into this course and receive up to 8 units of credit.
The Bachelor of Science (Regenerative Agriculture) is comprised of 24 units.
7 foundational core units:
Throughout the degree all students study seven core units that provide a strong foundation in science, socio-ecological systems and critical thinking, with introductions into Regenerative Agriculture within the first year. Core skills and knowledge is reinforced and expanded across the three-year program finishing with capstone research projects in Impactful Science and Practice.
The specialisation in Regenerative Agriculture contains:
An additional 10 units that further develop specialist skills and knowledge, taking a holistic approach to the production of food and fibre. This specialisation includes an exciting capstone unit that reinforce the student’s chosen field via a research project that requires embedded stakeholder engagement and applied practice. A range of exciting electives are also available.
7 foundation core units
- Earth Systems
- Science and Global Challenges
- Scientific Data Management and Analysis
- Data Collection and Quantitative Analysis
- Caring for Country
- Impactful Science and Practice I
- Impactful Science and Practice II
Plus 10 specialisation core units
- Introduction to Regenerative Agriculture
- Regenerative Agricultural Practices
- Regenerative Agricultural Strategies
- Planning Rural Landscapes
- Soil Processes
- Soil Management
- Ecology for Natural and Management Systems
- Ecological Perspectives: Human Ecology
- Organisms and Environment
Plus choose a further 7 units from the following list of recommended units
- Aquatic Pollution and Catchment Management
- Water and Wastewater Engineering
- Principles of Stormwater and Drainage Management
- Rainfall-Runoff Modelling
- Internship Study
- Wildlife Conservation
- Humanitarian Projects
- Protected Area Management
- Ecological Economics
- Ecosystem Regeneration
- Plant Biology
- Agricultural and Forest Value Chains
- Pest and Disease Management
- Ecosystem Modelling for Management
- Drone Technology and Spatial Analysis
choose elective units from other specialisations in the Bachelor of Science (Earth and Environmental Systems, Forest Systems, Marine Systems) or from the Bachelor of Engineering Systems (Civil, Mechanical, Coastal Systems), or you can choose a shared major or a combination of elective units from other disciplines across the University.
Why choose Southern Cross University?
- World first Bachelor degree in Regenerative Agriculture
- Ranked number 1 in Australia for graduate salary, overall experience and learning resources in agriculture and environmental studies (GUG 2021*)
- Top 3% of universities worldwide in Forestry and Agriculture (QS rankings 2020**)
- Championed by the Regenerative Agriculture Alliance and members of the Industry Advisory Group
- Dynamic learning experience – on-farm practical sessions and field-based residentials.
2021 Start: February, June
Location: Lismore, Online
Duration: 3 years FT/6 years PT
Admission requirements: ATAR 60 or equivalent
* Good Universities Guide 2021
** QS World Rankings 2020